PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions...

melanieholloway
05-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a 30ft above ground that we did not cover last year.. our sand filter never did its job (it is old) we are looking at getting a new filter this year. I have pretty much decided to go with a de filter instead of sand. My pool looks really gross.. it is green and there are leaves and frogs in it.. I guess my question is ..am I making the right choice going with a de filter? Because my pool is in such gross shape would one type of filter be more better for starting the pool up? Any suggestions or info is appreciated :)
thanks
melanie

aylad
05-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I personally am a sand filter fan. Sand filters produce almost the same quality of filtration as DE, and my fellow mods actually use a handful of DE in their sand filters to help filter finer stuff, getting the same quality as a DE filter without the hassle involved in cleaning the filter or the cost. I have never had to use the DE, my filter gives me sparkling water without it.

When you clean up a swampy pool, there is going to be lots of filter cleaning in your future, and a sand filter just requires an easy back wash and rinse, where as a DE filter is going to require backwashing and addition of more DE. So, in my opinion, just for ease in cleaning up the mess, I would go with sand. If you find that you want even finer filtration, you can always add the DE to the sand like the other mods do.

Just my $0.02!! :)

Janet

PoolDoc
05-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Melanie;

As a rule AG sand filters don't work well because they are too small and the pumps are too big. Reverse that (big filter, small pump) and you'll get great results.

With cartridge or DE filters, they will filter just fine . . . till the oversized pump breaks them. Give me your pump brand and model, and I'll try to match it with a filter that will be big enough for that pump.

Ben