PDA

View Full Version : pool opening

atgvir01
05-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I have been using the pool store method for about 10 years. I have decided to switch to the BBB method. Here are my test results. Should I worry about the TA level. Pool is above ground vinyl 18,400 gallons. Taylor 2006 test kit used. Water is clear. Please let me know how you would approach this.

Thanks,

FC= 0
PH= 7
TA= 135
CYA= 60

PoolDoc
05-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the forum!

As for your pool,
1) Add chlorine, now!
Use the best guess link, below, to determine appropriate levels. Do NOT let it get to zero again!
You can use bleach to shock or boost, and trichlor tabs in a floater to maintain, if you like.
2) Do not worry about your TA -- with your pH at 7, it's likely to go down (and your pH up) all by itself.
3) If you need to raise your pH, use borax, a box at a time, added slowly to the skimmer
with the pump on and running and the skimmer basket in place.

Keep in mind that the BBB Method is an approach to pool chemistry, rather than a list of chemicals. (Well, the *name* is a list or an acronym for one, but the *method* is what matters.) Read the BBB page for more info.

Good luck!

Ben

atgvir01
05-13-2011, 07:57 AM
I have been adjusting the Chlorine for two days now. Here are my new numbers. My CYA was higher then originally posted. Would it be o.k if I let it go down on it's own over the summer? I realize I will need to keep my Chlorine levels higher. What is the downside? Chlorine levels loss less then 1 over night. The water is clear. Trying to keep shock level at 25. Thanks,

FC= 23.5
CC= 0
PH= 7.4
TA=100
CYA= 100

aylad
05-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Your CYA will not go down much during the summer. Once CYA is in the water, the only way it is reduced is by splashout or draining and refilling of water. Frequent backwashes and a lot of splashout may drop it a little, but you'd have to lose 20 ppm or so to make a difference in how you treat your water--and that's not going to happen over a summer. So....you can leave the CYA at 100 and keep your chlorine in the 8-15 ppm range, and enjoy your pool! :cool:

If your overnight chlorine loss is less than 1 ppm, and the water is clear, then you can go ahead and let your chlorine start dropping, but no lower than 8 ppm at all times! Also, I would not use any trichlor pucks or dichlor granulated shock in your pool, they both contain large amounts of CYA and, while yours is manageable, you don't need for it to get any higher. I suggest you stick with bleach, if possible.

Janet

atgvir01
05-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks. I switched over to the BBB method this year and the water looks so much better.

aylad
05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
With a little attention and consistency in your chlorine levels, I think you'll find that this method is MUCH easier and less expensive than the pool store route!!

Janet