PDA

View Full Version : pump pressue ?'s from a newbie!

dhale63
05-05-2006, 10:02 PM
What is considered to be a normal pump pressure? First time pool owner and I have a 30' X 52" AG pool with a 200 lb sand filter and a 1 1/2 HP pump. At startup I had 15 psi and after two weeks I expected to have an increase by now. I am still sitting at 15psi. Is this normal? is it good? I have a lot to learn but this site is awesome!

waste
05-05-2006, 10:37 PM
What is considered to be a normal pump pressure? First time pool owner and I have a 30' X 52" AG pool with a 200 lb sand filter and a 1 1/2 HP pump. At startup I had 15 psi and after two weeks I expected to have an increase by now. I am still sitting at 15psi. Is this normal? is it good? I have a lot to learn but this site is awesome!

Welcome aboard! Starting pressure for pools varies greatly, dependent upon a number of variables. 15 Lbs. is well within the 'norm'. The next # you want to look for is 23 (an 8 lb increase) which will let you know that the filter is in need of backwashing. A 1&1/2 hp pump for that size filter may be part of the problem, the pump sounds like it's too big, and may just push everything through the sand, i.e. the pump is overrated for the filter. Check out Poolsolutions, the mother site of this one and search for Ben's riff on 'the bigger pump scam'.

You've done yourself a huge favor in comming here and taking your pool into your own hands, once you get used to it, it's really easy, just let the nice folks here walk you through the whole 'pool owner' thing.

Have a good swim season with your new pool, if you need any advice, just ask and I, or one of the other members will give you the best info we can!! :cool: