PDA

View Full Version : atlantafalcon - Pool Rover Jr Filter Bags

atlantafalcon
05-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Hello all, new member.

I have a Pool Rover Jr. "robot" pool vacuum that I need a new filter bag for. I can of course purchase a bag from the manufacturer, but while looking on Amazon I noticed another brand called "Tomcat", made by a pool supply company/store out of Westbury, NY. I'd rather not name the company, but a quick Google search of the bag name will show you who they are.

Here's my issue: The NY company offers 2 regular bags + a fine mesh bag for a little more than I can purchase 1 regular bag from the manufacturer. Seeing this, my "you get what you pay for" alarm immediately went off. I can find zero reviews on the Tomcat brand bags online, so I decided to search reviews on the company itself. What I find are many 5 star glowing reviews about great customer service and cheap prices. Almost too glowing, if you know what I mean. On the flip side are unhappy customers complaining of horrible CS and flubbed orders. One said they were sent a clearly used Rover when they paid for a new one.

I'm wondering, has anyone here used the Tomcat bags or know someone who has, and if so, are they comparable to the manufacturer's bags? When I look at a filter bag, it looks like anyone with the material, some quality elastic, and good sewing skills could crank these out. Not rocket science. Maybe this company is doing just that, and undercutting the manufacturers overpriced aftermarket parts to turn a dollar? Or, maybe they're buying cheap material and cheap elastic that won't last, built strictly to sell instead of function properly.

TL;DR - Does anyone know if Tomcat brand filter bags are any good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

PoolDoc
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it, aren't you asking a question you already know the answer too?
"What I find are many 5 star glowing reviews about great customer service and cheap prices. Almost too glowing, if you know what I mean. On the flip side are unhappy customers complaining of horrible CS and flubbed orders. "

Sounds like all the *real* customers are dissatisfied.

Ben

atlantafalcon
05-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Exactly what what I was thinking when I posted this. No way I'm buying from this operation without reviews on the filter bags. Those reviews apparently don't exist.

Thanks Ben!