PDA

View Full Version : Sand on vinyl pool bottom

dbursch
05-05-2006, 08:44 PM
For a few weeks now i have been getting sand accumulating on my pool bottom. I know because my Pool Rover Plus is collecting it in handfuls. I have never had this before and wonder if it indicates something wrong with my sand filter. I have had the same sand filter for almost 16 years and have never had trouble with it but it has been a long time.

Does this indicate a lack of enough sand in the filter, a blockage?

Thanks, Don

waste
05-05-2006, 10:05 PM
For a few weeks now i have been getting sand accumulating on my pool bottom. I know because my Pool Rover Plus is collecting it in handfuls. I have never had this before and wonder if it indicates something wrong with my sand filter. I have had the same sand filter for almost 16 years and have never had trouble with it but it has been a long time.

Does this indicate a lack of enough sand in the filter, a blockage?

Thanks, Don

Don, I think you got your moneys' worth from that sand and it's time to change it. It sounds like you have a broken 'lateral' (slotted tube in the bottom of the filter), the only way to replace it is to empty the sand from the filter to access the laterals, and it's probably not worth the trouble to keep the old sand and try to get it back into the filter.

A month ago I shared in the discussion on this topic here's the link (fingers crossed - big time!! :) )

Hope you get the problem solved, if you have any trouble or questions, feel free to ask, I could probably do a sand/ latteral change with my eyes closed ;) - think about the pea gravel thing.

edit} Ok that attempt to link failed :o , nothing new :) How I found it was to go to advanced search and in the subject field type "pea gravel", and in the author field type "waste" - it's the only thing that pops up

dbursch
05-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking now it may be well to just replace the entire filter -who knows what will go next? Don

waste
05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking now it may be well to just replace the entire filter -who knows what will go next? Don

Don, if you've been happy with the sand filter, keep it. Sand filters do a great job and are the easiest to use and NOT screw-up. As I pointed out in the 'cross link'; 50 lbs of pea gravel is a good thing (and was backed up by the other posters). If you are worried about something else 'failing', replace any latterals that are 'suspect' and even the hub they attach to, it'll cost you $$$ less than changing the entire filter.

Whatever you decide to do - Good Luck, and have a great pool season!! This forum is a pool owner's best source for having a hastle-free pool season, should anything else arise, post, and the nice folks here will help you :)

korinian
05-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Last year I was having the same problem with sand accumulating on the bottom of my vinyl pool. After browsing the threads here, everyone suggested checking the lateral lines in the filter. I took the sand out and found 4 of the lateral lines broken in places. The new assebly I located made it really easy. It was all one piece… the central tube, the hub and all the lateral lines. Think of an upside down umbrella. After you insert it in the hole, you expand it. Fill it with sand carefully. Then you’re done. I'd definitely check that before purchasing a new filter.