PDA

View Full Version : sand filter maintenance?

rbutera
03-26-2006, 01:49 AM
I've had my pool 3 years now and never done anything to the sand filter beyond backwashing it regularly.

Is there ever any reason to change the sand? My suspicion is that the answer is "not unless the filter is no longer doing the job", but thought I would ask. I am also skeptical about "sand filter cleaning" chemicals.

duraleigh
03-26-2006, 07:22 AM
You've got it just right. As long as you are filtering adequately, don't change a thing.

It's probably not a bad idea to open the filter and check to see if the sand level is adequate every couple of years or so.....adding if necessary.

"If it ain't broke,..........."

Dave S.

Watermom
03-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Actually, dirty sand filters a little better than clean sand anyways. My filter has had the same sand in it since 2001 and no problems.

lukester
03-30-2006, 05:08 PM
So if you need to add or replace sand, do you just use play sand or should I shell out the big bucks for some of the "super sand" at the pool store?

CarlD
03-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Ah, there you are stuck--you must use filter sand or you can ruin your filter's laterals--and it won't work well--but find a discount pool store to buy it from. But if you don't use weird, unnecessary chemicals that gum up your sand, it should last forever.

As it gets older it does filter better. You can accelerate/simulate that by adding DE to your filter--enough to make the pressure increase about 4-5 pounds--no more. Poconos and I have been experimenting with it and REALLY like our results. You only need about half a measure of DE each time you backwash--about a cup or so--$8 worth easily lasted me ALL season.

But, I believe if you convert from bacquacil to chlorine, you'll need to change the sand when you are done--I could be wrong.

lukester
03-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info. So you just pour the DE in the skimmer?

CarlD
04-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info. So you just pour the DE in the skimmer?

Yup. Slowly, of course. Start with a cup, wait a while till the pressure rises and then stabilizes, and, if necessary add a little more. If you put in too much, and the pressure goes too high, just do a standard backwash and it will be washed out.