PDA

View Full Version : Bugs

Flysurfn
05-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi all
Any advice on how to get rid of the deer flies while swimming? They attack everyone in the pool.

CarlD
05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I would raise the chlorine level to highest allowable for your CYA level. Then the water will kill the deer flies, hopefully, or at least repel them.

madwil
05-03-2011, 10:41 PM
you can try bug zappers, or try fogging, or lure them somewhere else (not likely, they like the water and the Cl probably isn't gonna kill enough to matter...)
Got the same problem, but we fog every couple weeks during spring and summer to cut down flies and skeeters both!

AnnaK
05-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Deer- and horseflies are attracted to dark colors. The traps they sell all have a dark blue or black bubble or sphere that the flies zoom in on. When possible, wear light colored hats and T-shirts while in and around the pool. That's something that helped us a little. We also keep a couple of badminton rackets in reach and hit them in flight. It knocks them down and you can then squish them. In my area they seem to be out mostly during the hottest part of the day, between 2 and 5 in the afternoon, prime pool time on weekends of course, but we do try to avoid those times of the day when possible.

Unfortunately, we provide them with perfect breeding grounds via our pools. While they don't breed in the pools they do like the damp environment around the pools. You can try spraying the ground with Malathion or Sevin; we haven't had much success with that. They are nasty bugs ans scary for little kids.

Watermom
05-04-2011, 04:10 PM
And, they bite hard! I hate horseflies.

aylad
05-04-2011, 10:32 PM
And, they bite hard! I hate horseflies. Me too, and we have tons of them. Badminton rackets work the best for us...

Janet

CarlD
05-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Me too, and we have tons of them. Badminton rackets work the best for us...

Janet

Wonder why.............(head scratch)..............Think maybe it has to do with them going for horses?

AnnaK
05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Wonder why.............(head scratch)..............Think maybe it has to do with them going for horses?

I'm not sure what the connection is between badminton rackets and horses?

Horse-and deer flies go for blood. They go for children, adults, dogs, deer, cows, pigs, horses, sheep. While they breed in moist environments they do not like water which is why increasing the chlorine in a pool won't really have any effect. Badminton rackets work well but it's really hard to explain to your dog, or your spouse, why you just smacked them hard even though they hadn't done anything wrong.

CarlD
05-05-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure what the connection is between badminton rackets and horses?

Horse-and deer flies go for blood. They go for children, adults, dogs, deer, cows, pigs, horses, sheep. While they breed in moist environments they do not like water which is why increasing the chlorine in a pool won't really have any effect. Badminton rackets work well but it's really hard to explain to your dog, or your spouse, why you just smacked them hard even though they hadn't done anything wrong.

Down where aylad lives that horseflies have license plates and fly on the right side of the road, stopping at railroad crossings!

aylad
05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
touche', Carl!! ;)

His point is that our horses are in a pasture across the street from our house. We live outside the city limits in a very rural area and most people around here have animals ranging from cows and horses to cats and dogs to pet wolves. So--we have some very large and well-fed horseflies around here!

Jan

madwil
05-05-2011, 04:16 PM
kinda like Fl and Ga, where the cockroaches carry switchblades and demand "protection" money, or other gratuitous gifts! lol

Flysurfn
05-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I will try to raise th CL level a bit. Hopefully they won't be as bad later in the season.

Thanks