PDA

View Full Version : StaRite PLD series filter pre-coat

slim7
05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
So I registered, and still can't search...

Just hoping to find some information on my DE filter, STA-RITE PLD70. Having some issues with it (seems like it's letting stuff through) and I feel like there's a typo in my manual about the amount of DE is requires. (smaller model, 30sq ft, says it takes 6lbs, mine, 36 sqft says it only takes 4lbs)

I didn't really want to post anything until I throughly looked around first, but that's what I'm here for. :)

Watermom
05-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Sorry that I can't help you with your queston about your DE filter, but just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the forum. Hopefully someone will be able to help you soon, though!

slim7
05-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks! I figure once I get access, I'll be able to do some searching and see if I get lucky.

I also want to look into getting like a barracuda vacuum, or whichever seems to be the best of automatic vacs.

PoolDoc
05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Actually, you can search.

The link, above in WaterMom's post, and below my sig that says "Google Search PoolSolutions and 30,000+ PoolForum posts" takes you to a Google search of all of PoolSolutions and the PoolForum, minus posts in the last few days. It actually is a much better general search, than the built in search function.

It doesn't do as well with specialized things, like search for all the posts by a particular user or on a certain date . . . but that's of more use to moderators than regular users.

Ben

slim7
05-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Hmm, I don't see a link in her post, nor do I see your signature. Is that a limitation of being a trial user?

I can't click on your name to view your profile either.

slim7
05-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Oh, think I found it by doing a regular Google search with what you said, lol.

It didn't come up with any results from my model number of DE filter though. :(

This is the part of my manual I'm talking about. Maybe I should just see if you guys have seen something like his or get your opinion. Has anyone seen something similar to this? Where a smaller filter uses more DE than the bigger one?

http://echo7.x10hosting.com/images/filter.jpg

PoolDoc
05-02-2011, 08:17 AM
On this page:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/products/filters-de-system-2-modular-de-filters-pld-series-169.htm

I found this note:
"3: PLD50 requires more D.E. than the PLD70 because of precoat design and flow characteristics!"

I think that answers your question. BTW, thanks for the feedback on the signatures. I discovered that when I upgraded vBulletin version, the signature visibility of new members got turned off. It's going to take me awhile to fix that, but you should be able to see my signature now.

Ben

slim7
05-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Awesome, yes I can see stuff now. And thanks for the answer too!

Also just a note, when I was searching (yesterday as a trial user) from the search page you suggested, I had to log out in order to see any of the pages from the search results. While logged in it said I didn't have permission, lol.

I saw on some thread that you said something about the System 3 from STA-RITE was crap, but I think you may have been talking about the cartridge filter instead of DE/Sand versions. The System 3 is what I have and I definitely see a small amount of stuff coming back into the pool through my filter when vacuuming (I even suspect DE coming out too from the type of dirt deposits I see on the floor a few days after cleaning).

But first I need to more closely inspect my filter for issues and see if my pump is too big after looking through some other threads on the topic.

slim7
05-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Think I found my Culprit!

http://echo7.x10hosting.com/filter.jpg

Going to be ordering a new filter but I want to make sure of something real quick. Look at the filter online, it talks about a System 2 and mines a System 3. However, number that's in my manual matches that of the filter. Think I'll be alright?

PoolDoc
05-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Order from a supplier using your FILTER model number; let them find the matching part; note the name of the order taker, and specifically ask THEM to find the part that goes with that filter.

Ben

slim7
05-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah, everything is matching so far, somewhat. My manual says 27002-0036S for the filter cartridge. This site has that same number and references the model number of my DE filter too. But I'll probably call to make sure because the system 2 and system 3 difference.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupplies/poolfilters/starite/replacementfiltercartridges/systemtwo/products/27002-0036S.htm

The cartridge/filter itself however, reads these 4 numbers in this order on top. Which doesn't make any sense to me. :/
27002-0036
27002-0030
27002-0100
27002-0150