PDA

View Full Version : 26k gal AGP adding salt

madwil
05-01-2011, 08:16 AM
My pool is still covered, but hooked up pump yesterday in preparation to open (next weekend maybe- still a little cold!).
So one thing I decided to do this year, is add salt; I may get a SWCG soon, but even if not still wanted the higher TDS and softening affects of salt.
Added app. 500 lb yesterday, by adding to skimmer while running pump- took a couple hours to add a pound at a time and let dissolve...
Before adding, I tested ph at 7.6; and I assumed 0 Cl as has been closed all winter... this was done with standard 2 way test, as didn't want to waste the reagents in my new Taylor kit until I was close on chemistry.
after adding the salt, also added 2.8 gal 6% bleach...
Then, tested Cl and ph- Cl was off the chart (>5ppm) and ph was 8.0!
I know this much bleach shouldn't have this affect, should have been about 3ppm Cl... and little affect on ph...
Does adding salt affect the ph? do I need to counter with acid- or wait until I get the cover off and full circulation for a few days before balancing?

dmanb2b
05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Adding 2.8gals of 6% bleach would raise FC by 6-7ppm in a 26k Gal pool, depnding on how strong the 6% bleach actually was (can be as high as 8%).

Typically, 1 gal of 6% Bleach will raise FC by 6ppm in a 10k gal pool.

madwil
05-04-2011, 05:00 PM
pool still covered, but actually tested all parameters today.
Since the previous post, I added 4 cups MA, over 3 days.
FC 10
CC 0
TA 40
CH 150
CYA 40-50
pH 7.4

my guess now is that there was still some Cl in the pool, and the additional just pushed it higher- teach me to assume!
The pH I guess was the result of circulating the water over several days...
Since the Cl is holding up, and no CC, I think I'm in good shape for removing the cover and starting the season!
Probably taking off cover this weekend, and then retest in a few days- hoping my temp holds, is at 68F now!