PDA

View Full Version : Great input from Natural Chemistry, but still want feeback....

salinda
05-05-2006, 12:28 PM
I got this reponse from Natural Chemistry because they don't list ingredients in their products. It seems to have some great advice in it:
"Thank you for your email question
Salt Water Magic contains a product called Phosfree, it is a rare earth mineral called Lanthenum which works to collect phosphates through your pools filter system.
With a phosphate level of 2500 ppm I would suggest that you use a product called Phosfloc to flock the phosphates to the bottom of the pool where they will be vacuumed to waste. If you do not have the option of vacuuming to waste you will need to treat the pool with a few bottles of Phosfree liquid. Treating with Phosfree entails monitoring your filter pressure and rinsing, or backwashing when the pressure doubles from the normal pressure.
The reason I suggest Phosfloc (if you can vacuum to waste) is because it is a one time application. Less work and cheaper than using Phosfree treatment as you will need to use quite a lot of Phosfree to treat that size of pool with such a high phosphate level.
When your phosphate level is down to the required at least 125 ppb or as close to 0 as possible, the amount of Phosfree in the Salt Water System will then be able to control any phosphates which will be entering the pool water. Either from your source water or environment."

BUT, I don't have a vacuum to waste option in my pool that I know of. How could I set this up? I saw some reference to a pool service company having a truck-mounted vacuum system. I could search around for this service if it is feasible. Any other suggestions? I still don't have an algae bloom, but wouldn't mind knowing what to do should I get a sudden outbreak.

bassadict69
05-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Are you having problems that warrant a phosphate remover? That Phosfloc is some nasty stuff & no fun at all to have to do to your pool.

I would only recommend it as a last resort. Are you having problems with your water or did the test just come up high?

salinda
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Are you having problems that warrant a phosphate remover? That Phosfloc is some nasty stuff & no fun at all to have to do to your pool.

I would only recommend it as a last resort. Are you having problems with your water or did the test just come up high?

The test just came out high (2500). Everything else is balanced, except Calcium is a little high (520), but I am constantly adjusting pH down due to swg, so that has not been a problem.

I only want to be prepared should a problem with algae start at some point.

CarlD
05-05-2006, 02:04 PM
You are looking at a cure that's worse than the disease. But that's the nature of the snake-oil salesmen of the pool chemical industry.

If your pool is nice and clean, and your chemical levels are where we suggest them to be, go swimming and enjoy.

It ain't broke--don't fix it.

And NEVER trust any pool company that won't tell you the chemical ingredients of their product. This is going to be in contact with your skin, your eyes, your mouth, your insides, your kids--How DARE they withhold such critical information!

bassadict69
05-05-2006, 02:06 PM
If you are not having algae problems, I would not worry about the phosphate level. If you do start having problems, check EVERYTHING else before doing the phos. procedure. Be sure all other levels are in check & most of all...follow the instructions given here on the site. These guys (& gals) know what they are doing.

I spent about 1 1/2 summers fighting reoccuring algae & following the advice here on the site before finally deciding my phosphate level was the problem. Hopefully I now have that problem in check & do not have to do the phosfloc again.

salinda
05-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your vote of confidence Carl! Doing nothing for now....

And NEVER trust any pool company that won't tell you the chemical ingredients of their product. This is going to be in contact with your skin, your eyes, your mouth, your insides, your kids--How DARE they withhold such critical information!
They did tell me in the email they sent. From other posts at the forum, this Lantheum was listed as the only product out there that can actually reduce/remove phosphates.

CarlD
05-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't know a lot about lantheum, but I believe it is a "rare earth"--an element.

waterbear
05-05-2006, 11:12 PM
The phospahte eliminators on the market that I have seen are usually lanthenum chloride or lanthenum carbonate. One makes a mess and the other isn't too bad but I don't know which is which. And NaturalChemistry does not reveal their MSDS unless you can demonstrate to them you have a need for it. That makes me suspicious of them even though I have used their products:mad:

salinda
05-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Thanks! If it helps, maybe her description of one of them flocking the phosphates to the pool floor (flocculant) and the other making cloudy water (suspended precipitate?) that is eventually cleared by the filter can give us a clue. I am pretty suspicious too. I only add acid to my pool regularly now that I have an swg.