PDA

View Full Version : Low fountain flow

skos007
04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Low fountain flow

I am going to start a new post to give all the currents facts.

I have a flow issue. The pool runs great for about 1 to 3 hours, then I have very little flow to a fountain in a spa that feeds the pool.

In the morning when the pool 1st starts up it take about 20sec for the water to start flowing out of the fountain at 20psi. Then after 1hr the fountain is dribbling and pressure is 30psi. I can turn off motor, wait 30secs and restart, I will be back to normal. Then process happens again. After an hr or so back to dribbling and pressure is 30psi.

Currently running clean grids with NO DE. All skimmers baskets including motor are clean. Also salt cell was socked in spring and is clean. Water test is normal.

Pool info

14K gal
A.O. Smith B130 2.4hp motor
Hayward DE2420L Filter
Hayward SP3020X25AZ Super II Pump 2 1/2 HP Single Speed
Aqualink rs4
AutoClear salt system

PoolDoc
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I think I see the problem -- but I don't have time to explain now -- starting a weekend with my Scout troop.

If I'm right, you can solve the problem, sort of, by either (1) bypassing the filter or (2) taking the grids out altogether.

You should never run a DE filter w/o DE, especially on dirty water. You may be able to clean your membranes, or may not. You should try to do so (and taking them out to try would let you test the flow w/no membranes).

Clean with detergent or TSP FIRST; then acid. If they aren't already ruined, cleaning them with acid first may finish the job. -- Go to Haywardnet.com, get them manual, and clean according to their procedure EXCEPT if they say clean with acid first, don't.

Once you get them clean, NEVER run the filters without DE.

PoolDoc

skos007
04-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Update. I clean the filter with acid. Put DE back in the pool and we will see what happens.

Also just another piece of info, a couple of the grids is collapsed on the top. This happened a year ago when the pump went out. I then replaced the pump and all the grids.

What do you think is collapsing them again? The original motor lasted 6 years and so did all the grids.

ps. the floating feeders are because my salt main logic board went out so I am back to floating feeders.

skos007
04-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Update. I clean the filter with acid. Put DE back in the pool and we will see what happens.

Also just another piece of info, a couple of the grids is collapsed on the top. This happened a year ago when the pump went out. I then replaced the pump and all the grids.

What do you think is collapsing them again? The original motor lasted 6 years and so did all the grids.

ps. the floating feeders are because my salt main logic board went out so I am back to floating feeders.

PoolDoc
04-23-2011, 12:54 PM
(I pulled the picture, because it didn't add anything toward answering the question -- and you already have it in the other thread).

You asked what was collapsing the grids.

I don't know for certain, but I *STRONGLY* suspect that you've got too much pressure across them. I already had said that, but with the info that you are running the filters w/o DE, I think it's only more likely. Your original motor was smaller.

Also, I told you not to clean with acid first, very very specifically.

No one is obligated to take any of the advice given here. But if you are NOT going to take advice, it would save everyone time if you'd just say so. That way we could spend more time answer other posts from people who are listening.

Email me at poolforum AT gmail DOT com if you want to continue this.

Sincerely

PoolDoc.

skos007
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Update. I clean the filter with TSP. Grids look fine except the area where they are collapsed. Put DE back in the pool and we will see what happens.

We have had storms here and I am fighting a terrible algae bloom. I am dumping bleach in and keeping chlorine level high. Any other ideas?

With the algae issue I feel I need to conquer 1st.