PDA

View Full Version : Cya levels in cold water

BigSplash
05-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Somebody at the pool store told me that Cya levels can not be measured until water temp is at, or above 70, is this correct?

Are chemicals in the test kit only good for one year?

I know thats two questions. :rolleyes:
But I have soooo many more :D

CarlD
05-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Well...If you measure it under a full moon at midnight while wearing a tin foil hat, that should counteract it....Just Kidding!;)

That's a new one to me!:confused:

Seriously, I cannot imagine it having any effect--and shaking the little bottle while it's clenched in your fist should warm it up anyway.

DavidD
05-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Now my visual of Carl is one with a tin foil hat..........

waterbear
05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Low temperature will slow the reaction that causes the preciptitaion of the melamine and can give you an inaccurate low reading, especially if you don't give it enough time to react completely. This test is not like one with an indicator (ph) which will change color almost immediately.(many chemical reaction times are temperature dependant) It is best to let the water sample come to normal room temp (about 75 degrees) before perfoming the test. (The LaMotte CODPlus colorimeter manual recommends the sample be between 70-80 degrees before testing for CYA) I don't know what the cut off temp is but I do know that the test is designed to work at normal pool water temperature which is usually in the 70's or higher. What I do as insurance is to first let the water warm up indoors if it is cold and then let the sample sit for at least 2 minutes (up to 5) after shaking for 30 seconds and then shake again to mix the precipitate that might have settled and then test.

As far as your hand warming up the bottle as you shake...depends on how cold it is outside and how you hold the bottle.

The full moon and tin foil hat ARE standard equipment for me when I test.....and I also do it standing in a crop circle, just in case.....;)

CarlD
05-05-2006, 12:28 PM
As far as your hand warming up the bottle as you shake...depends on how cold it is outside and how you hold the bottle.

The full moon and tin foil hat ARE standard equipment for me when I test.....and I also do it standing in a crop circle, just in case.....;)

"How you hold the bottle." Time for a new thread! How to hold the CYA testing bottle correctly (not the black dot tube, either!).

PoolSolutions has finalized design and is about to begin marketing tin-foil hats. These are nearly identical with Roswell-branded tin-foil hats (the best on the market), but come at a lower price and in a new, handy roller storage system...These are the ONLY hats you should use while testing under a full moon...Get your pre-orders in now.

Of course, Ben has turned over COMPLETE marketing, advertising, manufacturing and shipping authority of the Pool Solutions tin-foil hats to me...

waterbear
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM
PoolSolutions has finalized design and is about to begin marketing tin-foil hats. These are nearly identical with Roswell-branded tin-foil hats (the best on the market), but come at a lower price and in a new, handy roller storage system...These are the ONLY hats you should use while testing under a full moon...Get your pre-orders in now.

Of course, Ben has turned over COMPLETE marketing, advertising, manufacturing and shipping authority of the Pool Solutions tin-foil hats to me...
ROFL!!!!!!! Put me down for a pre order!!! :D:D:D:D:D

donfranko
05-05-2006, 02:21 PM
I think I recall Ben suggesting that you mix your water and cya reagent first, perform all your other tests, then check CYA levels last. Gives the reagent more time to react with the pool water and more accurate test results. This is how I test mine anyway.

As for hats I'm impartial to the bra's on the head ala "Weird Science". So far Kelly LaBroc has not appeared:(

DavidD
05-05-2006, 03:08 PM
The don has probably got a good point. Let the sample sit for a while.

Evan,

Since you have access to the LaMotte COD fancy shmancy meter, why don't you do a little experiment. Test a sample of cold water (< 70 deg.) and test the sample of the same water after warming up (~80 deg.) to see if there is really a noticeable difference on such a small sample. And, if you don't mind, go one step further and compare these same samples to Ben's or Taylor's test. I'd be interested to see what the outcome is as I've received varying results from local pool stores compared to my own test. Of course you know who's test was right?:cool:
Now if you really want to be thorough, you may have to wait until the 13th so the moon is full, but only if you can get an official Pool Solutions tin foil hat from Carl by then.......

Dave

ShelleyAnn
05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Hey waaaaaaaaaaaait a sec., let's not get off subject here. I am new to the forum and new to owning a pool so--where do I send my $5 for the hat?

CarlD
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey waaaaaaaaaaaait a sec., let's not get off subject here. I am new to the forum and new to owning a pool so--where do I send my $5 for the hat?

Where'd you get the idea it was (only) $5?????:confused: