PDA

View Full Version : miller6979's Thread -- problem with oak pollen

miller6979
04-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi. I have two commercial pools, well 2 and a puddle, that I am trying to take care of here in Tx. I have my cpo and afo and have been working with pools for awhile. I am having issues with oak pollen, as im sure as everyone else at this time of year. Pools are clear and have most of the pollen settled to the bottom. I am having a hard time getting it all vacuumed up. I brush and water turns green but after a few backwashes and a couple of days later it will clear up. my question is, is there actually any good chemicals out there that will help on getting rid of the pollen. Ive used Leslies in the past and am not a big fan of there chemicals. I dont have an auto vacuum and time restraints keep me from manually vacuuming as much as I should.

Poconos
04-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Welcome to the forum.
I can't help on the chemicals but one question. Is the filter not catching what you do vacuum up? If so what kind of filter(s) do you have.
Al

miller6979
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
The one pool in question is approxametly 70,000 gallons and has only 1 triton 140. 4 skimmers that only two that are going thru a pump and none are filtered. the 2 main drains, that are on the the walls and are filtered.

PoolDoc
04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
You don't remove pollen with chemicals, but with a filter. You have a sub-standard filtration and circulation system, that is going to deliver sub-standard performance, especially on a pool with commercial loads.

Just out of curiosity, how in the world did that pool get permitted?

Ben / PoolDoc

miller6979
04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
the pool, I believe is about 30 years old, at least.

PoolDoc
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Ok. I can believe that.

But, having run pools like that many times, I can tell you you've got a high maintenance pool, with no good (ie, cheap) fix, and no easy solutions.

However, folks in situations like yours tend to get all hot for an easy solution . . . which makes them vulnerable to bogus sales pitches. So watch out: most quick and easy solutions aren't . . . and that's particularly true in situations like yours. I've seen $100,000's wasted because managers got sold a "quick and easy" solution. For what it's worth, the "solution" in your case is a new pool, or at least, a new circulation system -- and that's not quick, easy, or cheap.

Get a good vacuum -- separate pump unit if necessary -- and plan to use it!

In fact, it's possible to buy / build a separate pump system using a Hayward 3/4HP 120v SuperPump (http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/_10201_10551_13004_-1_14002__I.htm) and an old Star-Clear filter ( http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/_10201_10551_13507_-1_17502_15516_I.htm ) and not only vacuum with it, but use it as a backup or supplemental filter. I've built them a couple of times.

** Do NOT use other pumps or filters. The Super Pump has the easiest open lid, with grit and dirt, of any pump made, and has a tremendous self-priming capability that more efficient pumps lack. The Star-Clear has old style separated pleat filter cartridges that can actually be cleaned after they get dirty. Also, be SURE you know how to wire it and protect it. Otherwise someone WILL get shocked. **

Try to get one on a 4-wheel cart, not 2-wheel hand-trucks. The ones on hand trucks fall over and get broken unless you weight the heck out of the bottom plate.

Ben / PoolDoc