PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy after shocking

l1tech
04-03-2011, 06:57 PM
So I am getting around to getting the pool is shape for the summer. Today I added 2 pounds of calcium hypochlorite shock to my 15,000 gal inground pool adn immediately the water turned cloudy...am I right in thinking that I just have alot of dead stuff in the pool and the shock is doing it's job. If this is the case am I right in thinking that I just need to keep the chlorine levels high for the next week and then do a good backflush of the filter...next week I'm doing a partial drain and breaking the DE filter down anyway.

Sorry I don't have test results.

Watermom
04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Without some testing numbers, it is hard to know for sure what is going on with your pool. Repost when you get some numbers and also tell us what type of pool it is meaning liner, concrete, etc.

l1tech
04-03-2011, 08:19 PM
The pool is concrete. I don't know exactly what my cl levels are at becasue my test kit only goes up to 5ppm and the cl level is above that after shocking(I know it had to be zero before I shocked it). My ph is high at 8.0 and I don't even want to get into my ta level...140. The pool only turned cloudy after shocking. I know my calcium levels are high and that is why I am doing a 1/2 water exchange next weekend so I didn't bother to check it today. Also my pressure has gone up 5 psi on my filter since shocking and that is what is making me think I have a lot of dead stuff in the pool. It just really freaked me out that the pool clouded instantly after shocking, I have always kind of ignored it during the colder months here but it has never done this before. I will take a water sample in tomorrow and get the whole range of testing done on it...I just hate doing it becasue of all the stuff they try to sell you.

I have done the BBB method before but being that I am gone alot during the week it makes it really hard for me to adjust daily and that is why I float cl

Watermom
04-03-2011, 09:46 PM
I know what you mean about the pool stores trying to get you to buy a bunch of stuff. Resist! It would be a great idea if you could get your own test kit that will measure higher than 5. A little pricey initially, but well worth it and will pay for itself quickly. We like the Taylor K-2006. If you buy it from Amazon through the following link, not only do you get the great kit but also the Pool Forum makes a little money, too.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=10006

If you are going to do a water exchange next week, I wouldn't worry too much this week. After the exchange, we'll help you get things cleared up.

CarlD
04-03-2011, 10:23 PM
As soon as I heard your pool went cloudy when you shocked it I thought "Did the poster use Cal-Hypo?" Of course, you then said you did. Cal-Hypo can temporarily make water cloudy, but in a high T/A, High calcium situation, it can also push your calcium level to the point where the water goes cloudy. Do NOT use Cal-Hypo again--you calcium and T/A levels are too high.

Your pH is high so you'll need to get it down. If it goes from 8 to 7.2 you may well see the water clear.

If your CYA levels are low (below 30), you CAN use Di-Chlor powder or even Tri-Chlor tablets to raise your chlorine level. Both add CYA (Stabilizer) and tend to lower pH, especially tri-chlor.

But you can ALWAYS safely use bleach or liquid chlorine in your pool.

l1tech
04-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Drained 2/3rds of the pool today, will get some fresh readings once it's finished filling....prob won't be until tomorrow evening