PDA

View Full Version : Sand filter over filter cartridge

wikid321
04-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Im currently in the process or buying a filter unit for a new installation of an above ground pool. The installer ive hired is pretty much saying sand is the way to go. Ive read online it goes in this order from ok to best. Sand, Filter then DE. Hes telling me this one hes offering (dream line high rate sand filter) from hayward is the best sand filter and better then anything else. He says its even better for energy consumption. I have been told to stay away from sand but now confused. Anyone have any insight to help me with this decision?

Watermom
04-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Sand filters are by far the easiest to use and they do a great job. DE filters will filter out particles that are a little smaller, but they are also a whole lot more trouble to fool with than sand. I will tell you this, all of the moderators on this forum have sand filters on their pool instead of DE. We also use a little trick where you can add just a little DE to your sand filter and it will cause the sand filter to filter just a little better. But, even without using that little trick, a sand filter will give you water that is clear and I doubt for the most part (except at night when you had an underwater light shining into your pool) that you would be able to tell much difference. My opinion is go with the sand and yes, Hayward is a good brand. Stay away from cartridge filters. WAY, WAY too much trouble!!

On another note, since this is a new AG pool that you are setting up, many dealers try and sell you a pump that is too big for your pool and a filter that is too small. If you can give us some other details about the pool (size of pool, size of pump, size of filter) we can advise you if it is all appropriately matched. In the case of pools, bigger is not always better when it comes to pumps.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

Poconos
04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Just an added note about sand filters. Some people say you have to change the sand periodically and that is plain not so. Only under certain situations like converting a Baquagoo pool to chlorine will you gunk one up enough to have to change the sand. Also you don;t need any 'sand treatments' some places try to sell. Just plain filter sand. You do lose a tiny amout each time you backwash but it is almost insignifican. My 300# Hayward has had the same sand for just over 13 years and I should probably throw another 50# bag in the thing. Generally the only time I use the DE trick Watermom mentioned is when I get a bunch of fine silt, dust, or pollen and it does help clean it up faster. They're about as maintenance free as you can get.
Al

CarlD
04-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I will add that I'm going into my 9th season with the same sand and have no intention of changing.
I will disagree slightly with Watermom: People who learn how to use DE filters don't seem to have much trouble with them very often, and usually from poor maintenance. My dad ran a DE for many years with no problem. The same is even more true of cartridge filters. Those who master them, love them beyond all others. Those who don't master cartridge filters (which seem to be a quite high %) can't stand the "troublesome things". It all has to do with figuring out the best and easiest way to clean the cartridge.

Saying that, I use sand, occasionally the DE trick, and have no intention of changing. It IS perhaps the easiest filter to learn to use and to maintain.

gwrace1
04-04-2011, 02:29 PM
My above ground pool is roughly about 26000 gallons. I have both a sand filter and a 150 sq foot cartridge filter. I run a poolskim and zeolite on the sand filter in place of sand. I love the sand filters ability for easy maintenance and back washing capability. It's a salt water pool so I have an aquarite hooked up to the sand filter on a timer. I like to have a filter running 24x7 and this is what I use the cartridge filter for. I utilize two speed pool pumps so I can let the cartridge filter run on low speed without having to exhaust the hours on the aquarite cell. Pool stays crystal clear. Cartridge filter maintenance is a little more work in that the cartridge has to be removed, hosed down, soaked in cleaner (dishwasher detergent) rinsed and placed back into service. Cartridge replacement times will vary but the filter also picks up smaller debris.

chem geek
04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I have an oversized 4-cart cartridge filter with 340 square feet for my 16,000 gallon pool. There is no question that it's a pain in the behind to disassemble and clean, but I only need to do it once a year. That's the tradeoff for a cartridge filter -- you either get an oversized one that's a pain to clean but you do it infrequently (this is what I do), or you get a smaller one you need to clean more frequently but is easier to disassemble (this is what waterbear does). It still won't be as easy as backwashing a sand filter, however. On the other hand, with the cartridge filter, you don't get a lot of wasted water which is why it was required where I live since we are sometimes under water restrictions.

Richard

waterbear
04-05-2011, 12:04 PM
I That's the tradeoff for a cartridge filter -- you either get an oversized one that's a pain to clean but you do it infrequently (this is what I do), or you get a smaller one you need to clean more frequently but is easier to disassemble (this is what waterbear does).

Richard
Actually, My single cart filter is WAY oversized for my pool and I can go a year (pool is run year round) before the filter pressure rises enought to warrant cleaning. I have a small pool/spa combo (Total gallons under 7k) so my 150 sq. in filter is way oversized! However, I do clean my cart 3 or 4 times a year...just my OCD, probably from caring for commercial pools where we had to clean the carts and recharge the DE filters almost daily!

If you go with a cart you do want to oversize and have a backup cart or set of carts. It makes cleaning them much easier. Cleaning a cart is not hard but it can be a bit messy. However, the filtration from a cart is better than sand and almost as good as DE and there is much less water waste (and no DE to dispose of!). In some locations carts are the only type of filter allowed or they will allow DE with a separation tank, which adds to the initial expense.