PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Pool Cover problem

buki5
03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
All, Glad to be back (well I should say glad everyone is here), back usually (at least for me) means I have a problem.

We have a Coverstar Automatic Pool cover. Last summer we closed the cover one evening and the far end pulley popped loose, flew into the pool and the rope shredded against the remaining metal as the closer continued to try and "close" the cover.

Long story short we put the parts back together and opened the cover fully. From there we just left it open for the rest of the season. To close I just tied a rope to the side with the "bad rope" and pulled while someone else turned the key...worked great.

Now It's Spring and I want to get the cover fixed. The quotes I'm getting are crazy hight 1500 and up depending on replacing ropes or replacing cover.

Anyone on here have any suggestions...essentially I need to replace the ropes?? Trying to get by for another couple of years before forking over the cash for a full cover replacement.

chem geek
03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
About $1300 is what it cost me to have the cover replaced along with new ropes, pulleys and a new reel (in the vault -- what the cover wraps around). A cover alone pro-rated after 4 years is more like $800 (incl. labor). That's with Pool Covers, Inc. in the San Francisco Bay Area. I pretty much need the cover itself replaced after 3-4 years and some of the H/W replaced every other time though they told me that the reel should last longer in the future with its better coatings (less corrosion from the dripped chlorinated water). Along with some annual cover maintenance, I just figure this averages out to around $300-350 per year to have an automatic cover -- the price of convenience.

buki5
03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks Chem Geek. Your numbers I could deal with....My quotes are from $1500 to replace the ropes only to $3000 to replace the cover... Seems unreasonably high. Hell I could could fly one of your Cali guys here to OH and be ahead :)

Any ideas on if I can get any parts on my own anywhere or other ideas?

chem geek
03-12-2011, 03:29 AM
$1500 for rope replacement seems nuts since the parts cost isn't very high and the labor time even for 2 people isn't more than a few hours at most. I don't know what to suggest -- I'm not much of a do-it-yourself person.

buki5
04-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Update. Well, not really...No progress yet. I have another guy coming on Sunday to look and give me prices. We'll see how he is.

Interestingly I could have the manufacturer come from 3 hours away for the price the last local guy gave me.