PDA

View Full Version : Cantankerous Heater

CoffeeBean
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I have a Hayward H200 natural gas for a 16X32 Doughboy 6.5' deep end AG. There are varying opinions on how much water I have in there but the consensus is somewhere between 13,500 & 14,000 gal. I bought the whole shebang in late 2003, first season use 2004, didn't use it at all last summer.

It's a pain to light even though it has an igniter. I have to take the front off, get down on the rocks, and twist around so that I can see the flame lit in this tiny window that's hard to see in daylight. That's bad enough but the problem is, the heater won't stay lit. It might stay on long enough to heat the pool to temp but then shuts down, never to re-up again when the temp slips. I say "might", not always. I've had my dad (ret'd sheet metal expert) make a front baffle thinking maybe the west blowing wind had something to do with it but that hasn't helped either. I have had multiple pool guys come to look at it, probably costing the price of a new one by now, but they say there's nothing really wrong with it. Since I live in western PA, it's the only way to get the pool to usable temp levels before time to shut it down again for fall.

I'm seriously considering a new heater. Does anyone have any info on which brand is better, which type is easier to use, do I have a big enough heater to begin with (it came with the pool), any advice? Thanks in advance.