PDA

View Full Version : Time to start warming her up!

steveinaz
02-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Well, I did a 50% drain this winter to alleviate a high calcium condition, re-added salt, re-adjusted TA. Next weekend we'll cut the new cover and start warming this pup up for season 5!

Water Tmp: 53 degrees
FC: 2 (10% output from SWCG for winter)
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 460ppm (I know, but it beats the hell out of 800ppm that I closed with)
SALT: 2600ppm (2250-2750 range)
CYA: 70-80

Once I get her warmed up to above 65 degrees, I'm tackling my iron stains next. At the end of this swimming season, I'll address the CH level again. I thought I had drained plenty---but I guess I didn't.

Watermom
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Hey there, Steve! Just wanted to pop in and say hi and happy to see you back on the forum for yet another season!

aylad
03-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Joiining Watermom to say glad you're back, and looking forward to seeing you around here this spring/summer.

Incidentally, what is the CH of your fill water? Could be you did drain enough--but if the fill water is high, it will limit how low you can get your CH without a different water source.

Janet

CarlD
03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Steve!

I don't even BEGIN to think about opening until mid-April, and only if the ice has melted. I expect a full pool from all the snow melt--the cover is STILL weighted down with snow and ice (now mostly ice).

Watermom
03-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey Carl, will you be mad if I tell you that my trees are budding? Y'all can keep the ice. This girl is glad to see signs of spring. I'll be putting the pump and filter on my pool within the next 2 or 3 weeks so I can start chlorinating. If I don't, as the weather warms up, I'll have a green pool!

steveinaz
03-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Joiining Watermom to say glad you're back, and looking forward to seeing you around here this spring/summer.

Incidentally, what is the CH of your fill water? Could be you did drain enough--but if the fill water is high, it will limit how low you can get your CH without a different water source.

Janet

If I remember correctly, I think my fill water is about 220ppm.

aylad
03-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey Carl, will you be mad if I tell you that my trees are budding? Y'all can keep the ice. This girl is glad to see signs of spring. I'll be putting the pump and filter on my pool within the next 2 or 3 weeks so I can start chlorinating. If I don't, as the weather warms up, I'll have a green pool!

Y'all can keep ALL of the winter/cold stuff up there--we've got flowers blooming, temps in the low 70s during the day and mid 40s at night, and my pool got its first shot of chlorine a couple of days ago. It's crystal clear, just waiting for the water to warm up--it's still in the low 60s at the moment. Got a bad case of Spring fever now!!!!! :D

Janet

steveinaz
03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi Steve!

I don't even BEGIN to think about opening until mid-April, and only if the ice has melted. I expect a full pool from all the snow melt--the cover is STILL weighted down with snow and ice (now mostly ice).

Our climate is so moderate, I never close my pool. I do lower my SWCG to 5% output, which keeps me at 2ppm. usually around mid-March we'll cover it up, and start building some heat; and then I'll clean my filter elements and my salt cell.