PDA

View Full Version : Pump Ringing

kelemvor
02-21-2011, 10:01 AM
So, my pool pump is making a progressively louder (day by day) ringing sound when running. I was guessing bearings. A few google searches later tell me the bearings can be replaced by a machine shop, but according to the AO smith website, the closest shop is a few hours drive. I'm thinking of just replacing the motor.

The local pool store has them in stock for almost exactly the same price I've been able to find on the net ($250)... which kind of surprises me, usually the pool store is MUCH more expensive for parts.

Now I come to my question. Without replacing my plumbing, is it likely I could replace it with a more efficient pump or a quieter pump or whatever?

It's only a 12k gallon pool with spa (including spa volume); but it is driving a waterfall as well.

Existing 1.5HP 3450RPM 1.1SF (AO Smith C48L2PA105)
Photo of pump label: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/kelemvor4/DSC_8572.jpg

mas985
02-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Given that you have a spa and a waterfall, I suspect that you would not want to downsize the pump. In fact, an uprated 1.5 HP pump is pretty small for a spa. Are the jets working ok?

One option would be to replace the motor with a two speed motor. Running on low speed is fairly efficient for just circulation but you still have high speed for the spa and waterfall. If you go this route, make sure you replace the seals as well.

kelemvor
02-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Ok, so now I need some suggestions. I got the replacement pump locally, same model. Installed everything and I've got a leak between the motor and motor mount plate. There was no rubber seal between these two on the old, so I didn't add anything on the new. The leak is pretty significant, though.

Also, I did replace all the rubber gaskets involved, and actually replaced the mount plate because I accidentally screwed the motor bolts through the original one :(. The leak is not coming from the large disk halves that connect with the big metal band, but rather from behind the motor mount plate.

I was very careful with the ceramic seal, and did not touch the ceramic its-self at all as I read all over the place that you should not. I did not put any lube on it, as the pamphlet with the seal said not to put anything containing PFC on it (and the lube I've been able to find proudly boasts PFC on the front).

Suggestions? After busting the rather expensive (locally) mount plate, I'm getting a little gun shy and thinking of calling someone to finish this up right for me...

waste
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Are you sure that you didn't install the shaft seal assembly backwards? (i.e. rubber to impeller or not 'lip to ceramic)

The only time I've seen one go so quickly is when the pool owner installed his new one backwards:(

kelemvor
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
I installed it with the two ceramic pieces touching each other. based it roughly on this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT6FaK3MX4o

However, since you mention it.. I see in the comments a few people mention he installed the seal backwards. They're only 10 bucks for the seal locally, but I'm on seal#2 already (touched the ceramic surface on accident with the first :( )

I got some local pool guy coming out tomorrow at 9am. He's only charging 40 bucks for the trip, and if he can get it fixed up for that I guess I'll be happy. Other than maybe having screwed the seal up again, I can't imagine that i damaged any other parts.

kelemvor
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Update: You were right on, waste. Ceramic seal installed improperly. It's been corrected and all is well!

I can't believe how quiet the new pump is, I should have replaced the old one sooner.

aylad
03-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Update: You were right on, waste.

yeah, he's pretty good about that! :)

Glad you got it working.

Janet