PDA

View Full Version : Help pool is very green looks like a pond

sierrasmom
05-04-2006, 01:51 PM
I didnt have anyone to help me cover the pool and i left it uncovered .it is so yucky .I have added 10 bottles of clorox .what else do i need to do and how long will it take before i can see a difference in the pool water ..thanks

JohnT
05-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Please post some details: Pool volume and type, filter type, chemical test results etc.. You need to test your chlorine level several times a day. Cleaning up algae uses up chlorine very quickly.

sierrasmom
05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
it is a 27 round above ground pool and it has a sand filter (Jacuzzi).

Watermom
05-04-2006, 05:53 PM
We need some water testing results to be able to help. Use a drops based kit and not test strips. Post your numbers and somebody here should be able to help you.

Islander2C
05-14-2006, 01:57 PM
We also own a 27AG and at the moment it also looks green and swampy.:( We never cover it in the winter. I did leave my leaf net on too long and it froze so I just took that off and some of the leaves feel back into the pool. My plan of action will be to get those leaves out first, vacuum to drain all the green slime on the bottom(so that none goes to the filter). Use brush on the walls and then let the filter run a good 24 hours, then do water testing to see what I will have to add to water.
This is our 3rd summer with the pool and every spring it looks the same. It is amazing how quick it will clear up! Very important to brush the walls down though. You want to get rid off all that green scum on bottom and walls.

waterbear
05-14-2006, 02:59 PM
I didnt have anyone to help me cover the pool and i left it uncovered .it is so yucky .I have added 10 bottles of clorox .what else do i need to do and how long will it take before i can see a difference in the pool water ..thanks
I am wondering if you are keeping on top of your water chemisty and sanitizer levels in your pool? If it had proper levels of chlorine it should not have turned green just becuase it was uncovered. Do you have a decent test kit and do you test your water on a regular basis? If not I would strongly suggest that you do. It would make you pool much easier to care for instead of being one crisis after another.
The idea with using bleach (or any other form of chlorine for that matter) is to make sure that there is always a proper redisual level in the water so problems don't occur. It really doesn't work well if you put some in and then forget about it until the water is green.

You need to test your water and post the size of your pool in gallons, it's finish (vinyl, fiberglass, plaster), AG or IG, Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, pH, Alkalinty and CYA (stabilizer) levels in your pool so the good folks on the forum can advise you on the best course of action. Otherwise

If you don't have a decent drop based test kit then get one. DO NOT rely on test strips! They just don't have the precision for the type of info needed to help you clear your pool. Walmart has drop based kit for about $15 that will give you most of the readings you need (it won't test free chlorine, only total chlorine) but a better kit will only pay for itself over time.
Hope this is helpful

Islander2C
05-15-2006, 04:44 PM
I am wondering if you are keeping on top of your water chemisty and sanitizer levels in your pool? If it had proper levels of chlorine it should not have turned green just becuase it was uncovered.

Depending on where he/she lives, it is not always possibe to keep up with your water chemistry. As for myself, my pool looks like a big ice cube for 6 months and it is not possible to do anything with it!:(