PDA

View Full Version : Pool Pump

poolboy69
02-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Referenced my troubles of late with freezing in North Texas.

Found out yesterday that the new pump I desperately need is still on backorder, so I probably need to find something else.

The pump I want and need is the 3/4hp challenger HIGH FLOW from Pentair. Can't find anywhere in stock, no matter the price.

But I find plenty of the same specs but in the HIGH PRESSURE. Determined with such a basic setup that I need the HIGH FLOW not the HIGH PRESSURE. But I need to get this fixed this weekend--despite another ice storm overnight and lows near single digits, the weekend and early next week is going to be pushing 70...texas weather, huh?...and will be my window to fix.

Anyway, I cannot tell from the specs and haven't heard back from a query with Pentair, but can anyone tell me the difference? I mean I understand the basic theory, but will I notice any real difference between the two? I have no idea whether current pump is HF or HP, so I could be worrying about no big deal. But even though I need this fixed ASAP, I want to use the correct equipment.

Any thoughts or opinions--based in fact hopefully!!!

Thanks.

Paul

mas985
02-09-2011, 11:35 AM
The high pressure Challenger is a higher head pump than the high flow version so there is a difference in head curves. The higher flow version will have a lower flatter head curve while the high pressure version will be higher on the right and steeper on the right. The higher flow versions are usually slightly more efficient but it depends on your plumbing. For larger pipes, the high flow version may give you more flow rate/watt while for smaller pipes, the high pressure version may give you more flow rate/watt. But since they are both low HP pumps, it may not matter all that much either. High flow pumps are usually used for waterfalls where high volume and low head are required.

Have you considered going with a two speed? That would save quite a bit in energy costs. You could get a two speed Whisperflo (WFDS-24) for only $100 more than the Challenger.

poolboy69
02-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Hey Mas...thanks for chiming in.

Some of the calculations--like all math for the most part--gives me tired head!!!

But your explanation definitely helps.

So in the big picture, either the high flow or the high pressure should provide very similar results. I pulled the curve charts from the pentair site for both models and pasted them side by side for comparison. When I take my assumed head of about 45 and the gpm rate at 45 (1.5" return line), they land on the same thing on both charts--dead on and dead center of the efficiency curve line for the 3/4hp uprated or 1/2hp full rated.

I kept thinking to go high flow over high pressure because all the HP information kept mentioning need for this with floor cleaners, heaters, high head, etc. But I have none of that--return comes out of the filter, through a rainbow chlorinator, through a 2" to 1.5" reducing bushing (to size pad equipment to return line) and back to pool.

So, as usual, I am probably WAY over thinking this decision! Maybe the fact that the high pressure can be had immediately and almost anywhere and the high flow is difficult to find, should have been a clue that MOST people, new pools or old, are putting on the HP version and the HF version is reserved for waterfalls, etc.

And, yes, I considered a two speed pump but dropped that thought for a number of reasons. First, my pump always has been a 1.5hp--way overkill I am now learning. So my recalculation has me best suited for a 3/4hp. Since I am cutting power consumption nearly in half with that, I do not think my savings with the two-speed at new 3/4hp size would be much more. Now, if I was replacing with 1.5hp, yes a two speed would definitely be the choice.

Also, since I am sizing to what is proper, I have concern that my low speed might be so low that I will hardly use it. Finally, going two speed will bring up additional thought on my control system. I am already dropping nearly a grand on new filter, valve, and pump, not sure I am ready to spend more money to upgrade the control timer.

Thanks...Paul

mas985
02-09-2011, 01:50 PM
The WFDS-24 is a 1 HP uprated pump which is equivalent to a 3/4 HP full rated pump (same as the Challenger) but with the addition of two speeds. So this pump will likely be more efficient at full speed but use about 1/4th the power at low speed. As for the controller, most will support two speed but if it doesn't then a simple low cost two speed timer could be used to control the pump.

I don't know the stats of your pool but I have 21k gallon pool with a 1/2 HP 2 speed and during the summer, I run high speed for solar with a vacuum cleaner for 2-4 hours per day depending on solar demand and use the low speed for general circulation for 3-5 hours per day depending on time of year. The cleaner and skimmers work much better at high speed but I really don't need much per day to keep the pool clean.