PDA

View Full Version : So I need a new filter...

poolboy69
02-05-2011, 05:33 PM
...the reason why is contained in this recent post:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=10571

Anyway, because all of my plumbing is intact, I am going back with another Triton II and not have to replace valve or cut any pvc to retrofit. Seems for my 24000 gallon pool, the 50 or 60 is the size on the low and high end--Triton II 50 has 8 hour turnover of 23500 gpm and the 60 8 hour turnover of 30500 gpm. Since everyone seems to recommend erring on the high side of filter, I will go with the 60 for a few bucks more.

But that brings me to my question about which Triton II 60 to get. Offered for around $400 shipped in the standard and $500 shipped for the model with clear pro technology. Have found a few reviews around the net, but most include Pentair talking points. Since only been out for about a year, the jury is definitely still out. Now the previous 140 model filtered my water just fine--during dusty or high pollen times, would toss in a little water clarifier. With the new model, I should get the same results, probably just have to backwash a bit more often.

But the question is whether the clear pro model is really that much better and are there other drawbacks to it. If about $10 of clarifier a summer--or DE powder as a supplement (don't know if that works and if drawbacks also as never used)--works just as well, that would take 10 years to make up the cost difference and I probably will not be here in 10 years.

Anyway, any thoughts on the comparison of the two Tritons most welcome or if you think I should consider going a total different direction. Probably not switching to DE or cartridge, for 15 years, sand has served me well with minimal maintenance, so have yet to hear a compelling argument to the contrary.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions...

Paul

Poconos
02-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Can't comment on the filter itself but the DE does work. Several of us have been using it for years. It does catch fine stuff and obviously you'll have to backwash more often under dirty or dusty conditions but it is cheap. I don't use it all the time, usually only when I get a bunch of pollen or dust on the bottom. Typically when I open in the spring and during the pollen season.
Also, sorry to hear about your freeze damage. Here in the northeast we have another concern....collapsing roofs. We got a bunch of snow, then rain/sleet and now things are a block of ice so nothing can be shoveled off. Just hoping for the best. Of course when it starts to melt there will be a lot of ice daming and roof leaks too. I wish physics was different.....contraction instead of expansion when freezing.
Al