PDA

View Full Version : Just opened, first numbers, where to start?

VOLDADDY
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Just got my pool cleaned/vac'd yesterday and looking pretty good. I let the pump run all night and just tested my water this morning. The water is pretty cold right now. Here's where I am starting from:

FC .5
CC .5
TC 1
pH 7.5
Alk 150
Cya 20

Should I try to adjust anything or just start adding bleach? Do I need to shock it since I just opened it? I want to get my water correct and then put my solar cover on it. We want to swim on 5/13!

BTW- I have an 18 x 36 IG vinyl pool with 21k gallons.

If this post is duplicated, I apologize. I didn't see the first one I submitted.

Watermom
05-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Since you have a CC of .5, it won't hurt to give it a quick shock to start up the season. You may have trouble keeping a chlorine reading in there with CYA only at 20. If you find that to be the case, you may want to add just a little and bump it up to 30 or 40.

BTW - I found and deleted your other duplicate post.

VOLDADDY
05-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks so much Watermom. I posted both threads and couldn't find them. I put in 6 jugs of 6% bleach, 3 qt. size. How long should I try to keep it at a shock level? I had to remove about 8 frogs from the water 2 days ago and there were 2-3 in tonight. They have more fun in my pool than I do! Should I go ahead and add some CYA now as well?

TIA.

18 X 36 IG vinyl pool 21k gallons

Watermom
05-04-2006, 10:39 PM
My guess would be that the one-time shock would probably take care of it. Then, with cya of 20, just maintain cl readings between 2-5. As far as adding a little more cya or not -- that is up to you. It certainly won't hurt to bump it up just a little. Or you can just wait and see how much trouble you have maintaining a cl reading in there with cya of 20. You may be fine. And, if you do have trouble, you can decide a little later to add some more. Up to you. Glad to be able to help.