PDA

View Full Version : Concerns re pool never opened in 2010

KirstenHW
12-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi all -

Due to health issues, work travel schedules and an ongoing (never ending) house reno/construction project, we were not able to open the pool in spring 2010. It is an inground vinyl liner with Hayward super pump and Perflex DE filter, and we have a solid safety cover with a small mesh drainage panel.

Last fall it was closed like always - chlorine, drop level to 1-2 " below returns, blew out lines, winter plugged them, filled voids in lines with antifreeze - the whole program.

I am pretty confident there are no issues with the lines - every spring the water level is back to operating level after thaws and spring rains - this year was no different.

After my Summer of Personal Purgatory, the water level was dropped but I never opened the wall plugs or connected the filter. Because it is a DE filter, i don't have the option of bypassing the filter and recirculating - or I would have just to get more chlorine in there.

I know the spring of 2011 will present me with a bog fit for Shrek - not a problem - I have the skills to overcome it. Been a BBBer since around 1997.

My real concern is for the lines. At the filter end, I opened the valves to peek at them and saw that I still have pink antifreeze visible at that end. The water level is below the returns again thanks to my sump pump.

I really am hoping I don't have to blow the lines again. It was such a bad year for us all around, the thought of line damage next year would really be the capstone for me.

Thx everyone.

waste
12-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Hey Kirsten :)

I had hoped your absence this past summer was due to no pool problems, sorry you've had troubles!

If you can still see the antifreeze, no need to reblow the lines :cool:

I hope you have a great winter and will be able to open the pool next spring :D

KirstenHW
12-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi Ted - So nice to know my absence was noticed! ;o)

After I posted yesterday I went back to the pool and re-checked the filter end of the lines and . . . I didn't see antifreeze. Hmmph. So, if I get more and fill it intill it spills out at top, can I still avoid blowing out the lines? I was thrilled to see that in spite of the cold of late in lower NY that there was zero ice in the pool.