PDA

View Full Version : Question on enclosing an inground pool...Anyone know about this??

Enigma869
05-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Good Evening All...

This may sound like an odd question, but, I was wondering if anyone might have any ideas where to research some ideas (i.e. specific material that should be used to deal with the indoor humidity, etc.) about enclosing my 18X36 inground pool. Living in the northeast only guarantees us about three months of pool usage, and I would LOVE the idea of using the pool all year long. My pool is backed up right to the back of my home, so it's really an ideal setup to esentially build an addition right around the existing pool. I would certainly include a whole lot of windows and doors for ventilation but am wondering about any other things I need to consider. Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

John from Boston

columbusdan
06-26-2006, 10:57 PM
I bought a house with this exact setup. We have an inground pool right out the back door and it is enclosed in a sunroom. The pool equipment is in the basement of our house. The sunroom does get a lot of condensation, but the solar cover helps. The room takes the condensation just fine...no rust or anything. We bought the house as a forclosure, so I don't know the exact details of how this was done. I just know it must have cost a hell of a lot (for the pool and the room)

Brock
06-26-2006, 11:18 PM
We built our indoor to start with but the room isn't connected HVAC wise to the rest of the house. We added an exhaust that goes directly outside keeping the room at a negative pressure from the rest of the house and then take fresh air in the house, which in turns either leaks back in to the pool room or though and equalization duct. This last winter we added a heat recovery ventilator to the mix, basically it passes exhaust pool air through a membrane and then the fresh incoming air passes through that same membrane. It moves about 50CFM in low and 100 CFM in high. In low I can see air leaving the pool room at 82F and leaving the house at 50F, incoming air can be 10F and entering the house at 65F, amazing little box.

The inside of our poolroom is durarock covered with dryvet, everything in the room is exterior grade. Dryvet is the modern version of stucco and looks as good as the day it was put in. We have never had any humidity problems with the house as a matter of fact we had to add a whole house humidifier the winter after we built.

I have a little more info on it in my link below.

Oh a pool cover is a must!

hoogie
07-08-2006, 09:35 AM
I did an enclosed pool in my last house. Used a galvanized metal frame from a company called versatube. You can buy the frame only. Then used triple wall bronze polycarbonate sheets for the roof. Had a better snow load rating than the roof of my house in MA. The sides were only meant to be temporary but ended up being semi-permanent but was a twin wall poly something greenhouse covering. The building never had much of a condensation problem that a couple of windows didn't take care of. It was nice to be able to use the pool from march to december. We heated it also but only at the start and end of the season. Could have kept it open year round but it was costly to heat when it was real cold.

Here's a picture before we put some windows in.

Dr. Spike
07-08-2006, 12:58 PM
My IG pool is enclosed. I didn't put it up, I bought the house with the pool, it was already enclosed. The label on the enclosure reads 'Hansen Weather Port'. I came up with two websites for it if that helps any (found some papers that came with the house). They are www.weatherport.com (http://www.weatherport.com) and www.globalsheltersinc.com (http://www.globalsheltersinc.com)

It seems like a good enclosure. I don't have anything to compare it with though.

I do not know what it cost, or how difficult it was to put up. I was told that it can be taken down and put back up with the included scaffolding. I have no plans on testing that.

Just another place to look while researching your enclosure.