PDA

View Full Version : Two qustions

onemsmom
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, my pool is finally blue & clear! Thanks so much to all of you who have helped.

Now, I want to keep it that way...

How often do I need to run which tests? Give me a schedule, please.

I notice when I vacuum, the stuff comes immediately back out of the filter. We are going into the dry season here, so I can't continue to bypass the filter when vacuuming - I'd lose too much water & have to refill with well water - possibly creating more issues. Is it just that the pump motor is too strong (1.5 hp vs. Hayward c900 cartridge filter) or is it possible I have a bad filter? I don't see any cracks/rips, but I'm wondering if my pool guy put in a "cheap" version or something - is there such a thing? Seems like we've had all of this trouble since we replaced the filter in the spring. Or, does it need to be soaked in cascade - I think I remember something like that someone told me a long time ago - should I try that?

Thanks!

Jenn
24' round, 13,000 gals, above ground

Watermom
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Test chlorine and pH every day or at least every two days. The other tests a couple of times a month is usually fine. The exception to that would be when you are tweaking something like cya or alk levels. Then, you'll need to test more often until you have it where you want it.

I don't know much about cartridge filters other than the fact that most people think they are a pain in the rear end. But, a 1.5hp pump is way overkill for a 13,000 gallon pool. My pool is the same size as yours. My original pump was a 1hp but when I replaced it about 4 years ago, I asked Al (Poconos) our resident pump expert to recommend something. He picked out a 1/2hp full-rated inground pump for me to buy for my above ground pool and it has been plenty for my pool. Bigger is not better when it comes to pool pumps.

CarlD
09-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi Jenn,

You asked the same question about the filter and pump a few days ago and are getting the same answer: It looks like your pump is WAY too big for your filter. A cart should NOT be blowing back into the pool unless it's damaged and the fastest way to damage it is use too big a pump. Improper cleaning, such as with a pressure washer can damage it as well. I'm not an expert on carts but they are basically big paper units. If you have a multivalve for your filter and tried to backwash it, that would have damaged the filter as well (If you have a multivalve, you'll know).

So, if the cart and pump are made by the same company (like Hayward) try calling the company and seeing if your models are compatible. If they are you STILL may have a damaged filter.

It's also possible that it's plumbed wrong, which is possible.

But I have a 20,000 gallon pool and I use a 1 hp filter.

Carl

onemsmom
09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I never used a power washer, but we do shoot it with water at high speed to clean it - maybe we messed it up. No backwash.

The reason I'm trying to verify the pump thing is that we have had this pool for 10+ years without much of a problem. It seemed like my husband put a bottle of some kind of "Low Chlor" ?? stuff in every 3 months & kept the chlorine from the pool store in it & it was almost always clear. Then we drained it & replaced the liner & refilled. Changed cartridge at the same time, had a pool guy for a month or so & left most of the summer - so there are a lot of variables.

For the last 2 1/2 months we've been battling green & cloudy endlessly. So, when I go tell DH it's too strong of a pump - he wonders "Well, we never had a problem before......" That's why I was trying to brainstorm other ideas before making an investment in a new filter or pump. $$

How would I know if it is "plumbed wrong"? Thanks for the ideas,

Jennifer

aylad
09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
If you've been "battling green & cloudy endlessly", it's because you're not properly maintaining your chlorine levels, and has nothing to do with your pump/filter problem. However, it's possible that you just have never had enough of a dead algae load on the filter to notice it blowing back through to the pool until now. I don't have a cartridge filter, so I'm not the best to give advice on them. However, all the pool owners I know that DO have them can replace just the cartridges and not have to replace the whole filter ( unless you're ready to go with sand or DE, which are much easier and more efficient to deal with). Try replacing the cartridge. If the cart is bad, that will fix the blowback problem. If the problem continues, then I think you need to be looking for a much bigger filter or smaller pump. I have a 1 HP pump on my 29K gallon pool and it is more than enough.

Janet