PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new pump?

rtpatter
09-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I currently have 1hp PAC-FAB challenger pump. I think it is about 10 years old. I run the pump 24/7 6 months out of the year in Alabama. This year I noticed the pump was little louder than what I remember. However, yesterday I noticed the noise was even louder. When I checked on the pump I couldn't even put my hand on the motor it was extremely hot. The motor however has not stopped running all summer and I assume its been running hot the whole time. Should I wait for it to die and do I need to just go ahead and replace now? Is it just a matter of the bearings becoming worn? Water is still flowing properly thru the unit. Any advice appreciated.

mas985
09-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a bearing problem but make sure there isn't anything clogging up the air vents in the motor. That can also make it run hot but the noise sounds more like a bearing issue. At some point the motor may no longer start so it might be worth it to at least start to shop around.

jongig
09-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Remove pump from service.

Take the pump apart to expose the impellar and make sure there is nothing dragging on the impellar. Check to see if the pump runs free and without a wobble. You can run the pump with the impellar exposed to check and see if the noise exists but don't continue running it and do it in a safe and controlled manor. We call this bench testing.

On the other hand. Replacing a 10 year old pump will save you money in the long run in electrical costs.

Jongig

Pool Clown
09-18-2010, 03:21 AM
If you can't touch the motor, you're probably spending more money to keep it running (electricity) than you should be. Either replace the bearings (new bearings, same OLD motor), or get a new motor.