PDA

View Full Version : Pressure switch is leaking

milesmor
09-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I have an inground pool with a gas heater. There is a pressure switch (Len Gordon model #800123-3 (Allied code)) that sits above a pressure gage (NOT my filter pressure gauge) attached to my pool plumbing. I assume it is a pressure switch for the heater. The pressure switch has just started leaking heavily. It has two wires that are attached to it but that are simply taped to the plumbing and do not attach to anything. It has a 3rd wire attached to it that runs into the ground. I have ordered a replacement switch but am concerned about the 3rd wire. Is this type of switch easy to replace? I am most concerned about the wire because I cannot see how it attaches to the pressure switch as the connection point is covered with some type of black sealant.

Searcher
09-16-2010, 07:58 AM
I have an inground pool with a gas heater. There is a pressure switch (Len Gordon model #800123-3 (Allied code)) that sits above a pressure gage (NOT my filter pressure gauge) attached to my pool plumbing. I assume it is a pressure switch for the heater. The pressure switch has just started leaking heavily. It has two wires that are attached to it but that are simply taped to the plumbing and do not attach to anything. It has a 3rd wire attached to it that runs into the ground. I have ordered a replacement switch but am concerned about the 3rd wire. Is this type of switch easy to replace? I am most concerned about the wire because I cannot see how it attaches to the pressure switch as the connection point is covered with some type of black sealant.

Sounds like you have a switch that was supposed to be wired to a controller that would shut down the gas control valve due to low flow through the heater. Wonder why it is not connected?

As for the wire going "into the ground", break out your soldering iron and some heat shrink. Cut the wire going "into the ground", install new switch, cut the wire from the new switch, leave some slack.

Strip both ends, slide heat shrink onto one of the wires, lay both wires out to face each other and then over lap the wires, twist wires together, solder and then slide up heat shrink, add heat to shrink the tube and you are done.

Do not twist wires as if you would be using a solder less connector/wire nut. Don't use a wire nut due to that magic word, corrosion.

As a thought. Since this switch is not wired up to anything, do you have low flow protection? Sounds odd as most of these switches are internal.

milesmor
10-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for your reply. I received the new pressure switch and was simply able to disconnect and reconnect the wires to the new switch. Still not sure what the wire that runs into the ground actually does but it was a fairly easy fix once I cut away the black sealant. This sealant covered the wire connections. I plan to reseal the connections but, for now, just have electrical tape wrapped around them. This gage is apparantly a pressure switch for my gas heater. Again, thanks for your reply!