PDA

View Full Version : Too much soda ash

Dave S.
09-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Okay, this is a bonehead move!
I needed to raise the ph a little, and so I (after reading the instructions on the container), I overestimated the amount of soda ash, and dumped it into the pool.

The pool is now cloudy, and the PH is over the top.

I assume that I should add acid to bring the ph down to normal levels. Correct?
Will the cloudiness clear up with filtering? The filter's been running for most of yesterday and all last night, and there's no change.

Thanks.

aylad
09-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I assume that I should add acid to bring the ph down to normal levels. Correct?

Yep, acid to lower the pH......

When you added the soda ash, did you add it thru the skimmer or straight into the pool? If you put it in the skimmer, and it still clouded your pool, then it's not likely to filter out unaided....if you have a sand filter, you could try the DE trick. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3742 . If not, then let it run for a couple of days, and watch your pressure. If the pressure isn't rising, then you may need to add some Polyquat or some other aid to help the particles clump together to help your filter get it all.

Janet

PoolDoc
09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Filtration may gradually remove the cloudiness -- probably precipitated calcium carbonate -- but that depends on your filter. If you've got an inground type DE filter, you could be able to clean things up quickly. If you've got an Intex type small AG pool filter . . . you might be able to filter it by next spring. :rolleyes:

You can also try turning the pump off overnight and seeing if it will settle, so you can vacuum it.

Lowering the pH will eventually redissolve any calcium carbonate, and then you can lower carbonate alkalinity via aeration.

But . . . be SURE to keep your chlorine up. Let your chlorine go down, and you'll end up with extra cloudiness that's even harder to clean up from un-digested 'goo'.

"PoolDoc"

Dave S.
09-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks all, for your suggestions.

The pool has a large, cartridge filter, if that makes any difference - oh, and I dumped the soda ash right into the pool proper. Pouring the it into the skimmer would've been a GOOD idea!

The filter's been running for 30 hours or so, now. Letting the dust settle, so to speak, sounds like a good suggestion. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning, and hope I can vacuum it up.