PDA

View Full Version : Intellichlor Temperature Sensor Problem

PoolNewbie2006
08-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Here is a problem for you experts out there.

I have one of the older version Pentair Intellichlor IC40 (v1) units installed back in 2006. This year, I've encountered a problem. My pool is at 82 degrees and the cell light shows red for low temp. The only way I can get the SWG to produce cholorine is to turn on the pump with the heater on. Only then does it seem warm enough to start generating chlorine even though according to the manual, it should start generating above 62 degrees or so. Once it starts generating chlorine, I can shut the heater off and all is well until the next day when the pump starts up again.

Couple of other notes. I called Pentair and they told me to try calibrating the unit (the older units could be calibrated) but no luck. They then said to try replacing the Temp/Flow Switch which cost me $100. No luck there either. The pool store won't let me return the unit so I am out $100. :mad: Interestingly enough, the new sensor had 4 wires (red/black and green/white pairs) while my Intellichlor only has red/black (flow only?). Another thing is that I have an EasyTouch system and the water temperature reading on it showed 65 degrees when the pool was around 80. I tried calibrating but the unit won't let me calibrate above 74 degrees for some reason. Seems like the sensor has gone bad and I am planning to replace it. Do these water temperature sensors go bad over time? Seems odd to me that both the Intellichlor and EasyTouch temperature sensor read low temps.

Sorry for the long post. Hope someone can help and thanks in advance!!!

Pool Clown
08-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Is your Intellichlor hooked up to your Easy Touch for control? If so, unplug the com wire (small 4 wire conductor) from the Easy touch (Easy Touch power off first) It's a red plug inside the Intellichlor box. And see if the unit begins to work properly.

PoolNewbie2006
08-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes, the Intellichlor is indeed hooked up to the Easy Touch for control. Do you mean the red plug in the EasyTouch box? I'll give it a shot and post the outcome. Thanks!

Pool Clown
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Since you may have more than one item, i.e. your indoor control, tied to the same buss, unplug at the intellichlor power center side (one phillips screw to access) and remember to turn power off first!

PoolNewbie2006
08-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Happy ending to the story. Pentair sent me a new Intellichlor unit (v2). :D I went from cursing them to loving them. Interestingly enough, my EasyTouch now has the feature that allows me to set different output values for the pool and spa. I thought I read that this was based on the EasyTouch firmware version but to my pleasant surprise, it was tied to the Intellichlor unit.

Pool Clown, thanks for your help!