PDA

View Full Version : Lead in chlorine bleach

ldsmommyof12
08-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I had to replace my pool pump-hit by lightening- and the pool man told me not to use bleach in the pool because it contained lead. I have been using it all summer and want to know what anyone knows about this. Yes or No!

BigDave
08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Did the pool man reccomend anything to replace the bleach?
Did he provide a reference to this info?

I would attribute such a comment without any substantiation to FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt). FUD is a common method of manipulation and is rarely used by anyone who has facts on thier side. You won't find much FUD here.

CarlD
08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Lead?

That's a new one on me!

chem geek
08-23-2010, 08:08 PM
That is simply pure unadulterated baloney! Bleach and chlorinating liquid contain sodium hypochlorite, sodium chloride (i.e. salt), and some sodium hydroxide (i.e. lye) and of course water. A typical product specification is shown here (http://www.odysseymanufacturing.com/product_spec.htm) where you can see a very small amount of trace metals, but no lead.

CarlD
08-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Yeah, who would want to wash their clothes in bleach if it contained lead? It would be like lead paint!

waterbear
08-24-2010, 12:56 AM
As Forest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does!"

Ohm_Boy
08-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds kinda like your pool man might contain lead. Perhaps he ate some paint chips as a child.

ldsmommyof12
08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I did not figure that it had lead in it, but wanted to just check. He is a longtime pool man in town. Does not have a store anymore, but constructs pools and fixes them. He was not trying to sell me products, just replaced my lightening stuck pool pump. Your comments rests my mind though, even though I did not think so.

CarlD
08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
A pool store guy told me yesterday that copper is the way to go for algaecide and that it doesn't turn hair green, chlorine does. At that point I shut my mouth.

waterbear
08-26-2010, 10:15 PM
A pool store guy told me yesterday that copper is the way to go for algaecide and that it doesn't turn hair green, chlorine does.

"Stupid is as stupid does!"

Brain death is not a pretty sight!:rolleyes: