PDA

View Full Version : DE not

willdozen
08-22-2010, 01:24 PM
This is probably related to my previous post (DE letting bugs through). My Hayward 2420 seems stuck at one filtering pressure- 12. Have not seen any bugs, etc escaping into Salt Cell lately, but the filter pressure will not rise above 12 (At 10 after backflush and dismanlted cleaning.)
I do not see any holes in the mesh gaskets. I changed the spider gasket as well. In the past I used Baquacil, and by this time of year had had to do many backwashes.
My water is crystal clear. Can it be that a salt system is just that good...ie going 2 months without a backwash??? I suspect something is a-miss, given that previous issue with small bugs escaping through.
Ideas???
Thanks.

Poconos
08-23-2010, 12:36 AM
My first thought would be the gauge being stuck above 12 but I doubt it. Can't see how it would do that. When you first turn on the pump you may be able to see a momentary spike above the stable running pressure. This spike is due to trying to get the mass of the water in the return pipes moving. That would help vindicate the gauge. Next thought is the pump maxing out for some reason. If you have multiple returns try plugging one to see if you can get a pressure rise above 12 psi. Better yet plug all the returns and run the pump momentarily to see what the blocked pressure is. Shouldn't hurt anything. Does the flow seem OK? I didn't look at the other thread so what size pump do you have?
Al

willdozen
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the delay between messages. I have a broken foot, so its a bit of an ordeal to get out to the pool shed.
The pump is a Hayward 1 hp. When I turn in on and off, there is no spike pressure. It slowly rises to 12. The flow seems normal, maybe little reduced if I had to choose a response. I opened the salt cell and again found a small accumulation of debris in the cell's filter.
I last backwashed everything the middle of July, only because I was going out of town for a few weeks. The pressure then also read 12.
If this is any clue, I switched from a Bacquacil system this spring. The pump clogged (high pressures) often during that process, but once the last of the precipitates were gone, things have run fine. Except that maybe the filter pressure has never risen above 12, and I immediately installed the salt cell.
Any ideas?
Will