PDA

View Full Version : Flavored Bleach

chuck9997
08-17-2010, 07:07 PM
If you put in a gallon or two of something other than PLAIN bleach.. what would it hurt? Would there be much damage to your water or pool? I am talking about the "Fresch Scent" or "Linen" bleach. What would the results and or cure be for this situation

I am talking about a one time thing.. Like maybe a mistake.

Don't ask me why I am asking?

waterbear
08-17-2010, 07:39 PM
OH NO, YOU HAVE TO DRAIN THE POOL AND SCRUB AND ACID WASH EVERYTHING NOW AND REPLACE YOUR FILTER AND PUMP AND REPLASTER AND THEN ADD 50 GALLONS OF PHOSPHATE REMOVER AND THEN FLOC AND CLARIFIER AND THEN VACUUM EVERYTHING TO WASTE SINCE YOUR POOL IS NOW FILLED WITH DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE WHICH CAN BE DEADLY!:eek::eek::D
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=9787&highlight=DIHYDROGEN+MONOXIDE
Read ALL the links in this thread, you need to know this stuff!

Seriously, it should not be a problem if it was just a one time thing.. Realize that the ONLY EPA approved sanitizer in the bleach lineup is plain, unscented bleach. The scented ones and the thickened ones and 'special' ones are bleach/cleaner combos and are NOT EPA approved sanitizers so you might want to shock the pool to make sure the water is sanitized and to burn off any 'crud' the scented product added. Remember to read the label first.:rolleyes:

We have ALL done stuff like this (or worse) so don't lose any sleep over it!;)

BTW, Love your sig line. It's exactly what I did and don't regret either!

CarlD
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah, where can I get a good dihydrogen monoxide remover? I'm really worried about that stuff in my pool. I hear it's really, really deadly.

waterbear
08-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah, where can I get a good dihydrogen monoxide remover? I'm really worried about that stuff in my pool. I hear it's really, really deadly.

Carl, I understand that exposure to sunlight over a prolong period of time will help remove the dihydrogen monoxide from your pool. However it could take years. I have heard of people using a hose somehow, often in conjunction with some type of electrical device that they say can move the dihydrogen monoxide out of of pool in days or even hours but I really don't have much info on it. (Skeptic that I am, I need to see this one to believe it!)

kelemvor
08-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Can you guys recommend a good dihydrogen monoxide test kit? I think I may have high levels in m pool.

BigTallGuy
08-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I had a little of that dihydrogen monoxide stuff in my pool before I drained it. It was mixed in with all the TDS, CYA, CC, not to mention a few deflated pool toys on the bottom, and may have had something to do with all the algae I kept sliding around on. If you listen to the Pool Store Guys, Your pool will end up like mine before I drained it.

Searcher
08-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Can you guys recommend a good dihydrogen monoxide test kit? I think I may have high levels in m pool.

Yes... Stick your finger in the pool and get "1" one drop on the tip of said finger. Place said drop on the tip of your tongue. If you do not pass out or go into convulsions, you are safe. :)

giroup01
09-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Please refer to proper MSDS documentation before handling this or any chemical, and inform staff on how to properly store and handle it, and what to do in case of spills: The MSDS for dihydrogen monoxide specify wearing "goggles" and "lab coat" when handling this chemical.

And in these tough economic times avoid wasting this chemical, it's not like it actually falls from the sky.

Using "taste" to confirm the presence (or absence) of this chemical should be fine however (the LD50 is >90 mL/Kg).

Other items that may be used as test kits for dihydrogen monoxide include cell phones, gps units, cats and computer keyboards.

I think Taylor is coming up with a titration test for dihydrogen monoxide also, April 1st of next year, if anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

waterbear
09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
And in these tough economic times avoid wasting this chemical, it's not like it actually falls from the sky.

Actually, there is evidence that under the right conditions atmospheric didhydrogen monoxide CAN fall from the sky in either liquid or solid form. There are two types of solid didhydrogen monoxide that can form (small soft flakes and hard round balls) and the ball form can cause extensive damage to houses, cars, other structures, and harm living things.

CarlD
09-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Hey! I just found this guy selling powdered dihydrogen monoxide, really cheap, about $5/lb. Just dissolve it in pool water......

BigDave
09-04-2010, 03:27 PM
A friend told me about a DHMO remover called(I think) Sci-Fun. I've been to all the educational toy stores in the area but can't find it anywhere. I searched the interweb and found a site put up by Edinburgh University that has nothing to do with pool care. I sure would like to clean out all that scary diydrogen monoxide and a positive educational experience is always welcome. Has anyone else heard of Sci-Fun or where I can get it?

idohair2
05-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I know this thread is old but I had to laugh when I read the title "flavored bleach"....mmmm sounds tasty!

chuck9997
05-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Wonder how many readers will admit they googled "diydrogen monoxide" to find out what it is? (of course,.. I didn't)