PDA

View Full Version : hth 3 in 1 tabs

fish
08-15-2010, 10:06 PM
hello all, ive aquired some of the hth 3 in 1 7 day skimmer tabs from a friend that no longer has a pool. they are the calcium hypo tabs not the trichlor tabs and they are 3 inch tabs. my question is can i use them in a floater instead of dropping them in the skimmer. the reason i ask is because they are supposed to be 7 day tabs but in the skimmer they only seem to last 1 1/2 days. any help would be appreciated. thanks

CarlD
08-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I would ONLY use them in a new floater that never held Tri-Chlor tabs. If they are the ones that are NOT encased in a plastic shell, they are lousy performers, as you said, only lasting a day and 1/2, if that, in the skimmer.

But, as long as your calcium levels aren't high you can use them.

fish
08-15-2010, 11:26 PM
ok thanks, they are the regular pucks that are not in the plastic shell

waterbear
08-16-2010, 06:34 AM
If you check I believe you will find that they contain copper. Read the ingredients.

CarlD
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
If you check I believe you will find that they contain copper. Read the ingredients.

Eeww!

The ones I once had did not. But HTH is big on selling combined stuff that makes you THINK you are taking care of multiple issues at once, but actually adds to the problems.

waterbear
08-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Eeww!

The ones I once had did not. But HTH is big on selling combined stuff that makes you THINK you are taking care of multiple issues at once, but actually adds to the problems.

They had both kinds at one point. Not sure about now but the ones we sold did contain copper.

CarlD
08-16-2010, 08:23 PM
They had both kinds at one point. Not sure about now but the ones we sold did contain copper.

What did they do, grind up a penny (pre-1982) and toss it in? They could STILL grind up a nickel and toss that in (75% copper, 25% nickel)