PDA

View Full Version : pH levels -- they won't stay down

kmmlangston
08-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Hello, All ~
We had our inground pool resurfaced 2 1/2 months ago. It is an exposed aggregate finish. It looks lovely, and right after we had it done, the contractor told us that the pH would be hard to keep down. However, after 2 months, we are still having a really hard time keeping the pH between 7.4-7.6. It seems like we are adding about 2 cups every other day. The pH goes down, and then goes right back up again. Our alkalinity has been around 80 or so the last time we checked it.

Any suggestions? Or is this just to be expected for a newly refinished pool? If so, that is fine, we just want to be aware. We thought by now it wouldn't be so bad.

Thanks so much,
Kelly

CarlD
08-14-2010, 06:39 PM
That sounds about right, just from the stories around here.

Do you have a salt water chlorine generator or are you using Cal-Hypo to chlorinate?

If your CYA (Stabilizer) levels are very low, like well under 30ppm, you might consider chlorinating with Tri-Chlor tabs. They are heavily acidic and emit a large amount of CYA as well. They may help.

kmmlangston
08-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Carl,
We have a regular chlorine pool. My husband has been using bleach to chlorinate and shocking once a week. I am not sure what our CYA levels are at this very moment. The last time I had it checked, it was within normal range. My husband is looking for the TriChlor tabs, so we will try those. Thank you!
Kelly

waterbear
08-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Until the plaster is fully cured (and that could take as long as a year:eek:) you are going to have a very high acid demand. As the plaster cures it will leach out alkaline material into the water. It is the nature of the beast, unfortunately. Keep up with the testing and the additions of acid as needed and do not let the pH spike high if you can avoid it. This will insure proper curing of the plaster with minimal chance of scale formation.
(THIS is one of the main reasons I chose fiberglass for my own pool!)

Watermom
08-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Do NOT buy dual action trichlor tabs. They have copper in them and you do NOT want copper in your pool!!! Just plain trichlor tabs.