PDA

View Full Version : AquaComfort AC 1750 Vs. AquaCal SQ175/155 Heat Pump

Chiefkappa
08-12-2010, 12:46 AM
I am at the final stage of planning for new pool and considering a heat pump living in a suburb of Philadelphia PA. I would like to get a heat pump to extend the swimming season and to maintain mid 80's temps. In my research it seems that AquaComfort and AquaCal seem to be the best two heat pumps on the market and I am trying to make a decision on efficiency and cost on both units. If anyone has any feedback to share I would greatly appreciate it. It seems that AquaComfort has Turboguard heat exchanger which is supposed to be better than titanium without the negatives associated with titanium. I am building a large pool (approx 1100 sf) and based on the size I am looking at the AC 1750 at 154,000BTU and 6.4 COP - and the AquaCal SQ175 143,000 BTU and 6.5 COP or AquaCal 155 135,000 BTU and 6.3 COP. Thanks for your assistance!

Poconos
08-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the forum. Can't offer any advice here but we'll keep an eye on the thread and keep it near the top of the stack until somebody responds. Sounds like a monster pool.
Al

Chiefkappa
08-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks Al I apprecite it. Yes newbie looking for some guidance. As recent as today somone mentioned to me to consider a solar attic heater or solar panels, so I have been spending time researching them as well. Too much to consider for some family fun in the summer! I thought this was going to be simple!

Poconos
08-12-2010, 09:27 PM
If you have space then solar can be easy and cheap for a homebrew setup. Attic heat exchangers always run the risk of a leak where you don't want one. You may also have to drain condensate. It was discussed here years ago and have not heard of anyone doing it. For solar, one of my heaters is nothing more than 1200' of 1/2" black poly pipe layed out on rolled roofing in my back field.
Al

Poolsean
08-25-2010, 11:20 PM
In my research it seems that AquaComfort and AquaCal seem to be the best two heat pumps on the market and I am trying to make a decision on efficiency and cost on both units. If anyone has any feedback to share I would greatly appreciate it. It seems that AquaComfort has Turboguard heat exchanger which is supposed to be better than titanium without the negatives associated with titanium. I am building a large pool (approx 1100 sf) and based on the size I am looking at the AC 1750 at 154,000BTU and 6.4 COP - and the AquaCal SQ175 143,000 BTU and 6.5 COP or AquaCal 155 135,000 BTU and 6.3 COP. Thanks for your assistance!
http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridirectory/pages/hpph/defaultSearch.aspx
takes you to the AHRI site where they test and report the ACTUAL performance of heat pumps. You'll see MOST of the major manufacturers submit to having their heat pumps randomly selected and tested by AHRI.
Without some standardized testing of systems, such as AHRI, any company can make whatever "claims" on BTU outputs (what testing parameters were these BTUs tested at?) and COPs.

Speaking of "claims", The Turboguard design is old school technology and is how the less expensive Copper heat exchangers have been used for years. It is a good and efficient technology. However, Titanium designs can be designed to provide high COP and efficiency, as evident by the high outputs and COPs shown on the data provided on the AHRI site. AquaCal have not experienced the "negatives associated with Titanium".

I realize my comments may be viewed as "biased", I just want you to be sure you're comparing apples to apples. By the way, I do own an AquaCal heat pump for my pool, and have had it for over 5 years, happily.

Questions to ponder:
Who manufactures the heat pump? AquaComfort (a Marketing company) sells a private labled heat pump. Ask Aquacomfort whos heat pump they marketed 3 years, 6 years, or 9 years ago. AquaCal is the manufacturer of the Heat Wave Super Quiet heat pumps.
Is the sound emminating from the Heat Pump operating, important to you? If the equipment is close to your window, or worse, your neighbor's window, is the sound of your heat pump turning on going to offend anyone?
What is the BTU output and COP efficiency of the heat pump when the air temperatures do start to drop, when you're actually going to be heating your pool?

Simply, Let the buyer beware.

Perhaps you can asks local builders for references so you can actually see the differences. AquaCal also has video testimonies on our website.

waterbear
08-26-2010, 12:08 AM
FWIW, I own an AquaCal Icebreaker (reverse cycle) heat pump and have had no problems. It is 5 years old and runs year round since it heats both my pool and hot tub.