PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water & filter on-off time

RobDHW
08-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Just a *simple* quick question :
Can not running the filter for enough hours a day cause cloudy water? I've never had a cloudy problem 'till this year. This year I've had a lot of it. What changed this year? 2 things : I swapped to BBB. Don't think that's it. I alos went from running the pump / filter 24x7 to (roughly) 12x7. I've done this purely to save money & keep from heating up as much the closed garage where the pump is.

If it is the length of time - all opinions are welcome on whether it would be better to install a timer on the pump or just spend the $$ on 24x7.
I *know* that I should just set my alarm for every 3 hours to turn the pump on/off but I've recently decided that sleep really isn't optional. I know, I know - what AM I thinking...

Thanks.

-Rob

Phillbo
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
What type of filter do you have ? I doubt the cloudiness is caused by the run time. Mine only runs 7 hours a day and I have no cloudiness problems.

RobDHW
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
It's a 24'x13' concrete IG pool w/ avg. depth of 4'.
Cl = 10+
Ph = 7.5
TA = 100
CA = 200
CYA = ? because I'm currently out of reagent, but I'd bet it's *way* high - close to 100 - due to a goof early in the season caused by guess strips (which have been replaced by a test kit).

Tagelus TA50-D sand filter w/ 3 or 4 year old sand. The filter has a slow leak to waste, which I'll deal w/ after the season, since replacing the spider gasket & diverter didn't fix it.

aylad
08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
There are tons of reasons why your water could be cloudy, but in this case I don't think it's the run time--my filter runs anywhere from 7-12 hours daily--and usually less than 12--and I don't have a cloudiness problem. Have you shocked the pool? With a high CYA it's really easy to let your chlorine get too low and have a nascent algae bloom occur........

Janet

RobDHW
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
That was my 1st thought. I've been adding 1 to 1.5 gal bleach every day & the Cl level is usually btwn 2 & 5 before I add it.- I don't *think* that's it. The reason I was leaning that way is that I've had the pump on 24x7 the last 2 days & now the H2O is clear. Who knows. Just was wondering. The water looks great now & tests fine. I know w/ way high CYA to keep the CL 10+ I'll just keep playing around w/ Cl & filter time & see what works.

Thanks

aylad
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
If your CYA is actually 100, then anytime you let the chlorine drop below 8 ppm you're opening the door for the algae. I would shock the pool. I really think you're just wasting money to run the pump/filter more than 12 hours daily unless it's a really undersized pump.

Janet

RobDHW
08-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Cool. Thanks. I'll try & keep the CL higher - right now the pool is nice & sparkling...

(I've got the pump off)