PDA

View Full Version : Sand in pool after start up, help

catcooter
07-30-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm new to the start up process, my husband has always taken care of everything. HE did the winterizing last fall. W also just installed a new liner. (I did all the work to ready it for the liner including getting rid of rust and cement work!, and oh, I"m a girl) The liner is in almost perfect, I have a few wrinkles to deal with but that's another issue.

I noticed a few hours after turning on the filter I had a pile of sand in the bottom of the pool. At first I feared there was a hole in the new liner so I used a net and swooshed the sand around. Last time I looked the water was no longer clear but had that brown tinge to it like the sand,and most the sand was circulating. I have the filter on but have not put any chemicals in the pool yet. It is completely filled with brand new tap water since this is a new liner.

I called the local pool company and they wanted to know if we'd winterized it and it sounded like the filter was broken inside. It is a hayward filter and only opens at the top, I don't even see a drain on the bottom. I"m not sure of the size but it is a big one. It is not the newest model showing the pump attached. My pool is 16' x 32'. The Hayward pump is 3/4 hp if that helps. What should I do?

We do have a heater also. After lighting it up it is running but keeps flashing to service/clean the filter/basket. Last year we lost our cover and it was a constant fight to keep the leaves out of the pool. Does this have something to do with it?

Bottom line. Do you think my filter is broken and if it is, can it be fixed? OR, is this just normal to lose some sand, I've not seen it before......should I put chemicals in? Or should I just turn the whole thing off and let the professionals deal with it? I have turned the heater off as I know chemical levels affect it's performance. I've waited months to get this pool refurbished (by me) and then more to get the help to put the liner in and I'm heartbroken. The pool is provides therapy on a very bad back for me and I'm in a lot of pain. I desparately need to get it running but I also am short on cash.

I turned it off this afternoon, now it's pouring rain. I decided to turn the filter back on and see what I have in the morning.

Something is leaking and it appears to be coming from the pump basket. Could this cause it? I see people talking about air still in the lines, etc. it took the filter a while to get going. I too had that white foamy stuff to start with but it was in the basket. I tried to bail that out and put in fresh. After about three times that stopped, and after refilling the basket to the pump about 6 times it did kick in and start to work. (the first couple times I noticed a ton of bubbling coming out of the spout in the pool, I assume this was air in the lines?)

Anyway, I have the company coming out Tues and I don't want to get plowed for a whole new filter/pump I can't afford if it's something simple. I've worked so hard to get my pool back and I just can't give up now. Thanks for your help, Cat PS: I hope I'm posting in the right place and didn't give too much info. I guess it's pretty obvious I'm panicked at this point.

Poconos
07-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Cat,
First off, don't panic and Welcome to the Forum. The filters should have a drain cap at the bottom. I wasn't able to figure where you live but if it wasn't drained and it did freeze then there is a chance the internal piping could be cracked and damaged. Would help to know the filter model number.
How much sand is really coming out? You said a pile but that isn't too specific. On the first run after winterizing it you can expect a little, but not much and by little I'm guessing less than a cup. If the piping and laterals (fingers at the bottom of the filter) are damaged you can replace just that assembly if the tank isn't damaged which appears not in your case. It would be cracked and you would have a major leak. Any time you backwash or stir up the sand you should do a quick RINSE cycle, only 15 seconds or so, before switching to the FILTER mode. Any crud that may get past the laterals will go out the waste line.
As for the heater warning it appears that is a low flow indicator. What is your pressure running and how does the flow feel out the returns? If the filter has a RECIRCULATE or BYASS mode try running in that position and see if the heater warning goes away and look at the pressure. That position bypasses the filter and if the filter is causing the low flow then that should be out of the loop now.
It's also possible since you said you had a lot of leaves that some got past the skimmer and pump baskets and gunked up the pumps impeller. Again, no major problem. Make sure the pump cannot come on by dumping the circuit breaker and opening all switches that may be in the line. You don't want it to accidentally kick on for the next step or your fingers will regret it if any are left. Open the pump basket lid, remove the basket, and there is the inlet hole at the bottom. Stick your fingers in and see if you feel anything tangled. If so you can fashion a hook from a coathanger or something and de-crud it.

Keep cool and if the pool people do come out don't agree to anything expensive until you check here first. Don't forget to get the filter model number.
Al