PDA

View Full Version : Would 30 ppm Chlorine burn off particulates?

marilang
05-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I let the pool get icky and now I've got to clean it up. The short version is, if I shock the pool to 30 ppm will it burn off dead algae?

Here's the whole story (only the cleanup portion, not how it got this bad to begin with).

Started Monday evening with 10,000 gallons of stinky dark green slime with scum on the surface. Removed leaves from skimmers, ray-vac robot and surface, hosed off filter cartridges, added ~1.5qt. muriatic acid (pH was in the stratosphere) and 1 gallon of 10% sodium hypochlorite chlorinating liquid. CYA in my pool is currently negligible and this equates to about 10ppm in the absence of a huge demand, which I obviously had.

By Tuesday morning the situation had somewhat improved to 10 kgal of cloudy, avocado-colored water. pH still above 8 but I was out of acid, so I put in another gallon of sodium hypo (FC was 0) and went to work. Cartridge filter pressure was high, but I decided to hope that the chlorine would dissolve some of the algae and this would improve.

By Tuesday night I had very pale cloudy water. I added 3 cups of acid, which should have brought pH to 7.2 . FC was 0.4 ppm so I put in another gallon of sodium hypo. The cartridge pressure was still high, the cartridges are 4 years old and cleaning them doesn't help for very long any more, so I went ahead and ordered new ones.

Wednesday morning (today) the apperance of the water and filter pressure were unchanged. The new cartridges will be here in a few days. Hosing down the old cartridges is a fair amount of work and might not make much of a difference (hasn't been, lately). But I want to reduce strain on the pump motor and remove as much particulate matter as I can before installing the new cartridges so they don't get all clogged up immediately.

So... somewhere I thought I read that a 30 ppm concentration of Chlorine will burn through everything in its path. Could it help disintegrate some of the dead algae floating in my pool or is filtration my only hope?

waterbear
05-03-2006, 02:59 PM
As a temporary solution you might try soaking your cartridge in a solution of TSP (1cup per 5 gallons water) for an hour in a plastic garbage can, hosing it off and then if there is any scale deposits soak in a solution of muriatic acid (also 1 cup per 5 gallons water) and then hose it off completely. If there is a lot of green algae in the filter hit it with bleach and let it sit for while until the algae is decolorized (soaking is best....about a 2 to 1 dilution) BEFORE the TSP and the acid and rinse it off. This will help remove any organics or scale plugging up the cartridge material and should improve the filtration.

There are also commercial cartrdige cleaners that are effective. Check your local poolstore or walmart

marilang
05-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks, Waterbear. I'll try it, once I figure out how to safely dump the garbage can when I'm finished.

bhelme
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks, Waterbear. I'll try it, once I figure out how to safely dump the garbage can when I'm finished.

The volume of a garbage can should not be a big deal even if you are on septic, but if you don't have an isolated spot in your yard to tip the can, then I'm not sure of a solution -- perhaps by the fence, into the neighbors yard, in the dead of night? ;)

waste
05-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Hi, Waterbear's comments are great, as per usual. What wasn't addressed was whether cl would, in a 'StarTrek-esque phaser' fashion, totally destoy the algae - it won't and can't. The cl will kill the algae, but it's up to the filter to remove the carcases - which is where WB's advice comes into play, i.e. keeping the filter able to do it's part.
Last year I posted my standard advice on being a part of the 'Cartridge Family' (for some reason I can't find it here anymore ;) ) here's the riff:

Buy another cartridge (or set if applicable). It will probably be cheeper today than it will be next year (or in 2-5 yrs), when you have to get one. Use the two of them (changing and cleaning them after a ~ 5 lb increase in pressure - except when faced with an algae or other 'huge load' problem then designate one of them for 'heavy load' ) After the first one is getting close to the end of it's 'useful life', put in the clean one, but keep the old one for it's 'heavy load' function, and be prepared to spend the $ for a new one (set). & repeat the cycle using the older one for heavy duty thing as per above. Always having a back-up cartridge just makes sense to me, a little money now can prevent a big problem in the future.

Just MHO - Good luck with the pool -- Waste
ps. keep us posted, we're rooting for you!
pps - I am not affiliated with the cartridge industry in any way shape nor form (I personally don't like them - but they're good for many folks' situations)

waste
05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Probably should have just edited my earlier reply -

When you need to dump the acid wash solution, toss a handful of pH up (Borox here) into the tub (to neutralize the acid) and pour it into the drain. (Setting up the TSP/ acid wash near to a drain/ sewer/ 'dumping place', is key :) )

marilang
05-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Bhelme, I live in an area where the pool water *itself* is practically treated as hazardous waste. There's a $20k fine if you let it run out into the street, for example. I can't imagine the fuss if I willfully contaminated the soil with phosphates, which I believe have been eliminated from all available laundry detergents here.

Waste, thanks for clarifying that there is no Star Trek solution here. I guess I'll have to open that cartridge filter three times this week. I was trying to avoid that because I hate getting fiberglass in my skin, and it's an awkward space to work in, and all the pieces are pretty heavy, and I'm pregnant, but I bet my husband would be happy to help out. I was planning to save this set of cartridges (still in pretty good physical condition IF I can get them clean) anyway. It just seems like it would be a lot easier to swap in clean cartridges, put the filter back together, and then worry about how to clean up the dirty ones, than to try and get it all done in one day so we can keep the filter running during the week.

I wasn't looking forward to soaking these because I tried it once before with a commercial enzyme-based cleaner and it made a big mess in my yard but had no effect on the filter pressure. We have negligible oils and lotions and I've seen no evidence of scale, just dead algae and leaves/flowers/berries off the trees. Although, that biofilm might respond to TSP now that I think about it...

b2001
05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I wasn't looking forward to soaking these because I tried it once before with a commercial enzyme-based cleaner and it made a big mess in my yard but had no effect on the filter pressure.

I've had the same experience with the cleaners and with muriatic acid; a big mess to clean up and not much improvement in filter performance. The only luck I've had is removing the filter, as waterbear has said in another post, before the pressure builds up and thoroughly cleaning it off with a garden pressure hose.

I do what waste said to do. I usually have two to three that don't work very well that I use for heavy loads and a new one for getting to "pristine condition" - although I've had a baquacil pool and that's been difficult to do. However, I'm currently converting to chlorine. I also find that if I let the old ones thoroughly dry out over a week or so, they regain a little capability. As I throw one out, I get a new one.

marilang
05-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Thanks, all, for your help.

I hosed down the cartridges and a LOT of silt came out. The pressure went down to 15 psi, which is normal for my system after cleaning. Brand spanking new cartridge = 13 psi, normally I clean at 20 psi, this heavy algae/scum removal project took it to 35 psi which caused all the other problems. Now the ray-vac calmed down, the skimmers work, water is flowing from the spa to the pool, all is well.

The pressure rose even while I adjusted the water (added 1c acid, more sodium hypo, and 3 trichlor pucks) so I may have to do this a few times this week. Small price to pay for getting my pool back. Besides, with practice I am getting much faster. ;-)

marilang
05-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I had to hose down the cartridges Saturday morning AND evening, but since then the pressure has stayed very low. After a few days of 24/7 filter operation, I can finally see the bottom of the pool. It's not sparkling yet, but it's on its way. :) I'm glad we have a new, more energy efficient pump motor!

Lesson learned. Last night I had a vivid dream that we had one bad rainstorm and the pool went right back to green and slimy. But in the real world, it was a long term case of neglect. :o

waste
05-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I had to hose down the cartridges Saturday morning AND evening, but since then the pressure has stayed very low. After a few days of 24/7 filter operation, I can finally see the bottom of the pool. It's not sparkling yet, but it's on its way. :) I'm glad we have a new, more energy efficient pump motor!

Lesson learned. Last night I had a vivid dream that we had one bad rainstorm and the pool went right back to green and slimy. But in the real world, it was a long term case of neglect. :o
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I live to hear success stories like yours, I am glad that your problem is all but gone, and I'm sure all the other members of the forum are too. I wish that all the pool owner's who's pools I care for had your dedication and willingness to care for their investment like you do!!!

Do what you bought the pool for; enjoy it all summer:)

Luv&luck - Waste