PDA

View Full Version : Help with Stains in Vinyl Lined Inground PLEASE

btozzo
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi All!!

I'm new to the forums and am finally getting the hang of my chemistry thanks to all of you! Now, I find myself needing to clean up the mess - stains!

It looks like someone poored maple syrup down the sides of my pool in the deep end. They are a light brown color as best as I can tell, and won't come off with a brush, and cover most of the sides.

Also, I have a rust spot on the floor in the shallow end by the stairs. I think my 3 year old threw something in the pool when I was closing it up for the winter! Little bas$%^ . . . :)

Could someone help me with my stains?

Bill

16x36 Rectangular
Vinyl Liner
Inground
Liner is about 5 years old

Watermom
07-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Any idea what caused the one down the side?? Try taking a vitamin C tablet and rubbing it on the stains. If is from metal, it should remove it.

And, Dad, little 3 year olds are not bas$%^..........s. They are just 3 year olds. In my opinion, 3 year olds are one of the best ages. Still babies and adorable and asking why about everything. Just lots of fun. Enjoy him. Remember that he won't be 3 for long!

waste
07-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Bill, sounds like you're dribbling chems around the perimeter that are reacting with another chem in the pool or some organic is washing into the pool in the deep end and reacting with a chem in the pool. I think the stain you see on the wall will react well (i.e. go away) with a little high concentration of chlorine.

The rust stain can be removed with Vit C (ascorbic acid).

Lisa, sounds to me like he was kidding, and venting - we all love our kids - even when they do things that annoy us :D (Oh, I've got 'war stories"... )

Hope you are well!:)

waterbear
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I, for one, LOVE kids, especially fried or broiled!:eek::D

Watermom
07-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Lisa, sounds to me like he was kidding, and venting

Of course he was kidding. I knew that. I certainly didn't mean to imply that I thought he was out of line. My apologies if he thought I didn't realize that he was kidding. I've got 3 boys. Believe me, I know at times they can be little %$@&^$#s! But we love 'em anyways!

btozzo
07-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi All!

Of course I was joking, not even venting, about my boys. I wish I could freeze them at this age forever . . . Alot of fun, and in the case of pools, alot of work!

Anyway, I have no idea about how the stains got there. I don;t even remember if they were there when we moved in three years ago or not. I'll try the Vitamin C tablet, and bringing my chlorine up to 15 ppm for a couple of days. But I have a stupid question, when you say "Tablet" do you mean an actual little pill of Vitamin C? If it works, it would be a little like scrubbing the floor of a palace with a toothbrush. I found some threads in which some people use Ascorbic Acid powder from Trader Joes, but I could fins anything about how to apply it. Remember, the entire walls of my pool are stained. So should I just be adding it to the water? How much? I have a 25000 gallon inground vinyl.

Thanks everyone!

Bill

waterbear
07-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Hi All!

Of course I was joking, not even venting, about my boys. I wish I could freeze them at this age forever . . . Alot of fun, and in the case of pools, alot of work!

Anyway, I have no idea about how the stains got there. I don;t even remember if they were there when we moved in three years ago or not. I'll try the Vitamin C tablet, and bringing my chlorine up to 15 ppm for a couple of days. But I have a stupid question, when you say "Tablet" do you mean an actual little pill of Vitamin C? If it works, it would be a little like scrubbing the floor of a palace with a toothbrush. I found some threads in which some people use Ascorbic Acid powder from Trader Joes, but I could fins anything about how to apply it. Remember, the entire walls of my pool are stained. So should I just be adding it to the water? How much? I have a 25000 gallon inground vinyl.

Thanks everyone!

Bill

The vitamin C tablet is just a stain identification test. Hold the tablet on a stained area. If the stain will respond to ascorbic (or citric or oxalic) acid then the stain will disappear where you hold the tablet in about 30 seconds or so. If there is no change then ascorbic acid will not work (which means the stain is not metallic in nature).

btozzo
07-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Gotcha! Now, if I find that the Vitamin C tablet works, how do I apply it to the entire walls?

Bill

Watermom
07-25-2010, 09:11 AM
If it works, then you can buy some powdered vitamin C to use to do the ascorbic acid treatment. Read the sticky at the top of this forum called stain removal via ascorbic acid treatment.