PDA

View Full Version : Light Source for Reading pH Test at Night

hawkeye91
07-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Hi All --

I think it's safe to assume that natural light is ideal for reading the pH test, and I try to test at dusk, but that doesn't always work out. What light source do you folks use when reading the test at night?

Also...I've heard that men in particular can have trouble distinguishing the shades of pink/purple and I'd have to say that I fit into that group, especially when trying to read the test with any kind of indoor lighting. Any "tricks" that you use to make it easier to read?

Thanks!

Scott

CarlD
07-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Sunlight with a white card behind it. I sometimes find a white cloud. Certain fluorescent lights may work. Be careful: they come in different shades and ones listed as "daylight" may be nothing of the sort.

Many men do have troubles distinguishing colors, after all color-blindness is almost exclusively a male disorder--I don't think I've ever heard of a color-blind woman.

However, I wonder if some of it is training. There are techniques to detect very fine differences. I did some painting in college and mixing, or worse, re-mixing the perfect color is something you learn to do. But, after all, who usually determines which paint chip or tile color is exactly right?

I'm lucky, I guess. i have no trouble distinguishing faint differences in tints. What I find hard is when the tint of the sample deviates from the colors on the cell, for example having a purple hue in the water when the pH cell has none.

The oddest thing: My wife had a friend whose brother painted religious icons--they were fabulous and nobody knew how he did it as he is totally colorblind--monochromatic, and only sees in black, white and gray. Yet he used color like a master.

aylad
07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
I use either a cloud for the background or the flourescent light in my kitchen. It's actually easier for me to read it with the light than in bright sunlight.

Janet

AnnaK
07-20-2010, 05:50 PM
For those times when I test after dark I use a GEPE light box (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330103-REG/Gepe_802001_Slim_Lite_5000_Illuminator.html).
It provides 5000K color corrected light, runs on batteries but also has an AC adapter.

This allows me to do the testing poolside without having to hike down the hill to the laundry room.