PDA

View Full Version : Newbie AGP Cover Question.....

94ukgrad
07-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Just installed AGP a couple of weeks ago. The deck should be completed this week. I need some advice on pool covers for when I close the pool. My deck will be completely around the pool. I was wondering how I was going to hold the cover down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

Watermom
07-19-2010, 04:51 PM
We used to use covers in the winter. I have a deck around the pool, also. My decking boards go over the top of my pool rail. There is a gap between the decking boards and the pool rail. We lay 2x4s on the top rail and then screw the decking boards into these 2x4s. In the fall, we take out the screws and remove the 2x4s and then the cover can go right across the top rail. It is held in place by a cable that is threaded through metal grommets (is that the right word??) and tightened so it doesn't blow off. Not sure if my description makes sense. Hope so. If not let me know if you need more info.)

I used to have a solid winter cover. It would collect water on top of it over the winter and some leaves. I would have to periodically pump it off to keep a huge puddle from forming on the top. My pool would be clean and perfectly clear when I opened it IF we could get the cover off without spilling any of the yucky water into the pool. We weren't always successful, though.

Then, I thought I wanted a mesh cover so water could flow through and I could avoid having the puddle. It did avoid that, but my pool would be dirtier than with a solid cover when I opened it in the spring. (Water still clear, but just more dirt on the floor.)

Last couple of years, I haven't even bothered with covering it. I scoop, scoop, scoop, scoop leaves out every few days through the fall and then don't worry about it. Yes, I have to clean the floor when I open, but that just takes a day or so and the water is clear.