PDA

View Full Version : Help with replacing pool light

albertgarrido
07-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I think a kind of stupid question but will ask anyway.

Need to replace the bulb on my Hayward Astrolite SP0580. It is 500W

I took out the assembly and cord is long enough to work on deck.

I took off the metal ring that attaches the plastic ring to the casing that houses the light.
My quesiton is how do you take the lens off to get at the bulb?
I didn't play with it much and put everything right back because we were having guests over, but in the 2-3 minutes I was playing with it, didn't seem like it would come out easy and there was nothing to grip so I can easily pull out. The rubber gasket seemed to be in there really good.

Am I doing this right and just need a little patience or am I missing something simple?

thanks!
Al
-------------
20x40 - 30K gallons inground vinyl

waste
07-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Al, GENTLY use a flat-head screwdriver to break the seal (be careful not to damage the gasket!) Some PBs say that you have to replace the gasket when you change the bulb - but I disagree! Perhaps a little silicone or Teflon based lube is in order but, unless the gasket is wrecked, just reuse it:cool:

If you need more help on this - I'm here almost every day:)

Pool Clown
07-18-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't know about the Hayward's, but the American Products (now Pentair) light lens gasket get's wrecked just by being clamped together for extended periods of time. I've not tried to lube or silicone seal (easier to just slip a new gasket on), mainly because i'm thinking about the poor slob (me), that would have to come in after to deal with the mess . With a new gasket, i'm confident that it won't leak(at least through the lens), and have to come back. They aren't that expensive to begin with, so i think it's money well spent. Perhaps the Hayward's are different.

Searcher
07-19-2010, 12:35 AM
I have done some experimenting with pool lights and have found that the uber expensive and fragile 500 watt bulbs can be replaced with a heavy duty 100 watt flood light with only half the loss in pool illumination at 20% less cost to run.

Your mileage may vary. :)

albertgarrido
07-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I got it!
Sealed it back up nice and snug and after 3 days....no water in the light.

Thanks for all the help!
VERY much appreciated....just saved me a $90 service call.

albertgarrido
07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Searcher...your math is wrong.

the $ in electrical savings 500% less the cost :)

you are spending 5 times less when going from 500 watt to 100 watt.

its all good ! ;-)

Searcher
07-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Searcher...your math is wrong.

the $ in electrical savings 500% less the cost :)

you are spending 5 times less when going from 500 watt to 100 watt.

its all good ! ;-)

Now why did I write "at 20% less cost to run" when it is 80% less?

Brain fog, too late at night, old age?

Pick excuse. :D

Pool Clown
07-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I got it!
Sealed it back up nice and snug and after 3 days....no water in the light.

A test you should try is to run the light for a couple of hours, let it heat up, then turn it off and let it cool.

When you turn the light on, the inside of the fixture begins to heat up. Along with the heat, comes pressure. If the seal is not good, air will begin to escape. Then when the light is then turned off, the fixture cools and the pressure subsides, and you start to develop vacuum. This is when the light fixture begins to draw water into itself.