PDA

View Full Version : Pool Pilot Dig220 and Intermatic T10604R

tthurman
05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I have this timer and know I don't need the High/Low speed timer feature since the Dig220 does this but I would like to use the On/Off feature. The wiring diagrams are somewhat vague in the Pool Pilot manual and since my Whisperflo is two speed I am trying to determine how exactly to wire this from the Pool Pilot. Any suggestions would be welcome! I have had several electricians look at this and they all say the timer wiring diagram in the Pool Pilot manual can't work when it is wired up for a two speed pump unless it is set to only turn it off and on when it is on either high or low but not both.

Davenj
05-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I have a timer turn the pool pilot on/off. The pool pilot is controlling the 2 spd pump. The poolpilot really never turns the pump off, power is always applied. The program allows you set pump times. Example: Timer comes on at 5:30am pump runs on low speed. Pool pilot pump 1 program set for 6:00am to 7:00 the pump runs on high, then pump ruturns to low speed. Pool pilot pump 2 program set for 5:00 to 6:00pm pump runs on high, then pump returns to low until the timer shuts off at 6:30pm.
The Poolpilot is not capable of a true 2speed control with both off. Just allows you switch between speeds.
I just have a Intermatic 220V timer.

tthurman
05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I am attempting to hook mine up after the Pool Pilot.

On page 6 of the manual it shows wiring an external timer with load out of the Pool Pilot coming off termianal positions 1 and 2.

For a 2 speed pump the load out becomes terminal strips 5 and 6 with the low speed coming off the relay.

It would seem logical to me that when running a two speed pump that the timer would be feeding off of terminal strips 5 and 6 in this situation as opposed to 1 and 2 as described in the top "external timer" diagram.

Correct?

It would also seem like this would leave the low speed of the pump continually hooked up since it would be a homerun wire from the Pilot to the Pump motor. Basically wouldn't this mean the Pool Pilot could, if programed to do so turn the motor on low speed regardless of the timer?

Davenj
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Terminals 1&2 are power input to the Poolpilot not outputs. The top drawing turns the pump and pool pilot off and on at the same time. Terminal 3 is a legs of relay that connects to termials 5 when program tells it to switch.
Same with terminals 4&6. There is no power at 3,4,5,6 in the first drawing. The second drawing has power input on terminal 3&4 with jumper to terminals 1 & 2 to power the Poolpilot.
Hope I didn't confuse you more. Poolsean might chime in with a better understanding.

Poolsean
05-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Dave, you're doing good. Sometimes it better to hear it from someone else who has done it.
You are correct in that the two speed pump mode does not allow an OFF position and the low speed is always defaulted unless it is programmed or boost is activated.

tthurman
05-03-2006, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't have bought this timer had I known I was getting a Pool Pilot but that was undertimed at the time of construction so I have a high/low timer that I will never use.

hmmm I am confused!

Diagram 1 clearly shows load out to pump so it would appear I should disregard diagram 1 as it is only for a one speed pump?

Let me see if this is what you mean:
I would attach legs 1 and 2 from the circuit to the line side of the timer.
The load side of the timer would then go to terminal connections 3 and 4 while still having the power jumpers between 1 to 3 and 2 to 4.

The output side of the Pool Pilot would stay the same out to Pump for a two speed configuration.

Correct?

Davenj
05-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Disregard the first two diagrams. The third one is what you want and wire the input from source (house) to the input of the timer. The load side of the timer gets wired to the Pool pilot terminals 1&2. Make sure the jumpers are done according to the instructions. Don't forget the grounds. Look over the connections on the terminal striip, see if you understand what is directed in the instructions before you do anything. If you want I'll try and get a picture of the terminal strip connections tommorrow night. My timer is mounted next to the PoolPilot, best place for it.
Don't get discouraged, the setup works great once you get it going.

tthurman
05-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the help!

Poolsean
05-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Only one area I would change is the connection from the Time clock to the Pool Pilot. This should go to terminals 3 and 4, rather than 1 and 2. I would jump the wires from 3 to 1 and from 4 to 2. The reason is that the main wires coming in are going to be larger than the jumper from 3 to1 and 4 to 2. This is so that the wire jumper doesn't overheat and melt down. Remember, these incoming wires should be large enough to handle the amperage requirements of the main pump. The wire jumpers to terminals 1 and 2 doesn't need to be as large as the amperage draw for the Pool Pilot (purifing) portion does not require much (1.5 amps actually).

NBWS6
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I've been researching systems and I believe I will get the Dig220. After reading this thread I'm a bit confused. I have a 2 sp pump and the way I'm reading this is that the pump wont turn off, just cycle between high and low? That means it will run 24/7?
Davenj, you have another timer to control the on/off?
Also, does the Dig220 control panel completely replace my original box? I'm having problems with my current timer and switch and I'm hoping this will just be replaced with the Pool Pilot's box.