PDA

View Full Version : why salt?

dalejanus
05-03-2006, 09:22 AM
I got the message about the new test kit with salt option.

This is new to me. Why do I need to test for salt? I do not put salt in the pool. Heck, I'm just starting to understand the chlorine and other stuff, now I have to figure out how much salt I should add?

So the question is, why should one add salt to a pool? I thought bleach took care of everything!

If I don't plan to add salt, then can I buy the less expensive test kit? Or should I test for salt even if I don't plan to add it?

---Dale

CarlD
05-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi Dale!

That's a good question and there are two good answers:

1) SWG--that's a Salt Water Generator. It makes its own chlorine by breaking down salt in the water into its components, sodium and chlorine. Then, the used up chlorine re-combines into sodium chloride (salt) again. I don't know all the details, but that's the idea--it generates chlorine from salt, then the salt recombines. That way it is self-perpetuating unless you replace salt-water with fresh when you backwash or drain. But you have to test it. I gather the SWGs come with an electronic sensor, but the drop test is much more accurate for ensuring the pool has the correct amount of salt in the water. SWGs work, but I don't have one since I find adding bleach is easy enough for me.

2) Lots of people find that salt-water feels softer and smoother on their skin, and, at the correct low salinity level, it matches the salinity of tears and therefore is less irritating to eyes. So they add salt for comfort. I don't do this either, because I haven't felt the need yet. But it is a tool owners use to increase the pleasure they get from their pool. Usually, the salinity level is so low you cannot taste it--and you need to measure it.