PDA

View Full Version : It's BAAACK!!!

Sue225
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM
My pool is too blue and brown stuff is settling on the bottom of pool. This was the 3rd day. I thought i killed this stuff off 2 weeks ago.
I notice the other day after a heavy bather load that the pool was very blue. I have the shock level at 20. cya is about 75 should i raise the fc? How long to you hold it there? How do you know the algae is dead?
cc was 0 this am
ph 7.5 before shock
alk 160
What do i do with the pool toys? If it is mustard algae I have heard that it can linger on rafts, etc.

Thanks for all your help!!

Watermom
07-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Have you at any time let the FC drop below 5ppm? Tell us again so we don't have to go and look for it, what kind of pool and volume? Go ahead and throw the rafts, floats, toys, in the pool. What are you using as your source of chlorine?

Sue225
07-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Have you at any time let the FC drop below 5ppm? Tell us again so we don't have to go and look for it, what kind of pool and volume? Go ahead and throw the rafts, floats, toys, in the pool. What are you using as your source of chlorine?

It has never been below 7 and I check it every am and pm, very rarely has cc been even .5 24 ft round 13,800 gal Chlorine is bleach and liquid chlorine!

I really believe I did not take care of business when we got pool to maintain chlorine 2 weeks ago. When I got the pool to 25ppm and it did not lose the reading overnight I never keep the chlorine at 25 for 24 hours. I let it drop since it appeared i did not lose anything thing thru night and cc was 0.

It has always seemed too blue to me

Sue225
07-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Sorry, I forgot that there was 0 fc around the middle of June before I got onto BBB. Do you remember me from Cyanuric Adic thread?

Watermom
07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I do remember your username and remember that I helped you before, but I work on so many different threads and with so many different members/pools that I cannot remember the specifics about your situation.

If you let the FC drop to 0, then you invite algae. You will need to go back to running your pool at shock level (based on your cya level) and try and hold it there to get rid of the algae. Run the pump 24/7, brush the walls and floor of the pool. Test and add chlorine as many times a day as you can and each time take it back to shock level. Take it up to shock level this evening. Test again early in the a.m. When you can go two days with no more than 1ppm of cl loss overnight, you can let it drift back down and then do not ever let your cl drop below 5. It may take awhile to filter out dead algae if that is what is causing the cloudiness. Repost with a full set of current water testing results when you have had two mornings in a row with no more than 1ppm of cl loss and tell us how the water looks at that time.

Also, if you have brown stuff settling on the bottom, can you slowly (so as to not get it back in suspension) vacuum to waste and get it out of the pool?

Sue225
07-10-2010, 12:07 AM
The pool was at 25ppm chlorine and my husband misunderstood me and added 2 gal of 12%. The chlorine is so high i can't measure it. I was up to 100 drops of 0871 with taylor kit and still water was orangy looking. Will all this chlorine burn off?

Watermom
07-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes. The chlorine will come down over time. Adding 2 gallons of 12% adding an additional 17ppm of cl to the pool -- so you are at around 42ppm of cl. Is this a vinyl pool?

Sue225
07-10-2010, 01:02 AM
yes it is. Liner is alread in sorry shape puckering from unbalanced water since last summer. pool is 23 years old. We will either replace liner or new pool next summer if we don't blow it up before then!! :)

aylad
07-10-2010, 10:31 AM
It may take a day or two, but the chlorine will come down on its own. The up side is that you now have a well-shocked pool! ;)

Janet

Sue225
07-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Ph is higher than 8
CC 0
fc 26 after sun was on it for a couple hours.
with cya of 80 i will leeft pool drift down to 20ppm and hold it there for 24 more hours. What do you think?
I am vacuuming to waste, by passing filter
will keep you posted about algae

aylad
07-10-2010, 10:25 PM
The pH may be reading falsely high because your chlorine level is high, so I wouldn't adjust it until you get the chlorine down closer to normal levels. Let the chlorine drift down to 20 ppm, and leave it there until the pool clears, you're not losing any chlorine overnight, and your CC stays at 0. How's the water looking?

Janet

Sue225
07-11-2010, 12:21 AM
water looks great! much clearer, that murky color is gone! pool was holding at 20 tonight! i have a question, when i check for cc it is colorless but, today i got side tracked for a few minutes and when i looked at the test cell it was slightly pink added 1 drop went clear, waited a few more minites and it was slightly pink again added another drop was clear. I did this about 5 times then i just quit. is this normal? do i have cc? Shoud you always let it sit or not? Thanks in advance.

aylad
07-11-2010, 11:03 AM
If you let it sit, it will always start to tinge pink--ignore it. If you didn't have any pink when you added the 5 drops, then you don't have any CC.

If the water is holding chlorine overnight, it's clear, and you have no CC, then you can let it start drifting back down to normal--but never less than 5 ppm!! Once it gets below 10 ppm, go ahead and recheck your pH. If it's still high, then you can adjust it at that point.

Janet

Sue225
07-11-2010, 11:50 PM
fc was 10 this evening, cc was 0 and ph 7.5. Added 2 qts of 6%. Can't get out there to check chlorine levels because it is storming. I did add 24 oz of poly... because we are having company and temps will be in 90's. Wanted to make sure the algae was gone!!
We are still vacuuming to waste. Much less brown areas on bottom of pool. Seems like to chlorine dropped quite a bit after I added poly..algecide. Is this normal?

Thanks

Watermom
07-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Yes. Polyquat will cause the cl to drop. So, you'll have to add more bleach to take the cl levels back up.

funtimeken
08-29-2010, 07:53 AM
My wife & I agree, we have Chlorine Envy!!! WE cannot even get the darn chlorine to register, let alone hit 100!!!!!

Sue225
08-29-2010, 10:38 AM
That is what brought me to this forum in the first place. Read my story in the thread called Using Chlorine Products, etc. Go to "Cyanuric Acid." That is the story of my chlorine problems. Keep at it with lots of bleach. This forum is a God send to me.