PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine levels, whats normal

Digger
07-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I changed from a Baq. pool this season and couldn't be happier! I have had a crystal clear pool in these 100 degree days. My question is this: I am wondering if I am having to use too much chlorine? I have been using approx. 2- 5 gallon containers of 12.5%, I believe it is? every week, with putting in approx. 5 quarts an eve. The CYA is 40-45. PH is running a little high about 7.8- to 8.0 today (I put PH decreaser in tonight with the chorline). My levels are up in the A.M. with dropping during the day. Honestly I have not ever changed my sand yet. I was contemplating waiting until Spring, as we only have a few more weeks of real swimming weather in our area. Any feedback would be appreciated. We have an inground 20x40, 25,000 gallon, vinyl liner pool. Thanks! Just a note, the other levels have all seemed to be within good ranges.

CarlD
07-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Sand-changing after a Baq conversion is a must. Sorry, but you should have done it at that time. Afterward, you should never need to change it again.

I'm strictly guessing here, with a full-scale WAG on my part, but the sand get full of Bacqa-goo (that's the "technical" term for it :rolleyes: ) which is why you dump it, and you're using all that chlorine to process THAT stuff that's still in the sand. Amazing that the filter is working!

If you don't mind spending the $20/week for a carboy of LC through the summer, then you'll just have to do that. (assuming my WAG is on target).

Or take a day, empty the sand and replace it and be done with it.

Digger
07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Always go with your gut, and good advice! I KNOW that is what I need to do. I only went along with not doing it because of the major task and getting help to do so. Sand will be changed, my gut has told me all along to listen to that! Either that or pay extra money for chlorine! Going for sand right now. Maybe hearing it from others will hold more "water" than hearing it from me. Thanks for input!!