PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a cover?

cjpink
07-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I just had pool replastered and they installed a hydrostatic valve, however, they did not put a drain cover or grill cover over it. Should there be one? Although it does not stick up over the bottom of the pool (slightly below the surface), i am concerned that perhaps the automatic pool cleaner (Hayward Navigator) could affect it, or someone step into it, etc.

If a drain cover is recommended, is there an easy process to put on in even though the pool is now full of water? That is, would I have to somehow screw a new one in, or is there an alternative method such as waterproof epoxy that I can use to push on into place?

thank you!

Searcher
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
If a drain cover is recommended, is there an easy process to put on in even though the pool is now full of water? That is, would I have to somehow screw a new one in, or is there an alternative method such as waterproof epoxy that I can use to push on into place?

thank you!

Although it is quite illegal, shoot the contractor is an option to your dilemma. :)

To be serious, call them up and nicely tell them that they "forgot" to install the mandatory main drain cover/grate. If they were paid in full and if they refuse to come over and install said cover, what next?

This is what I did when I removed my main drain grate which is 8 feet deep.

There are only two screws holding my grate on while there are about 10 around the perimeter that fastens the grate receiver to the main drain proper.

I have to make some assumptions and the most critical one for me would be, are the screw holes open and are the female threads intact in the main drain body?

If yes all you need is a snorkel and mask, I also use fins which makes getting to the bottom easier for me but that is your option.

What I did was unscrew the drain grate with a fillips screw driver that was taped to a long pole. I then swam down, retrieved the screws and then the grate. I did my inspection and again swam down with the grate only and a rubber mallet as I knew I would nor be able to get said grate centered properly to match the screw holes.

Once you get the holes lined up. tape the screws onto the screw driver and while hovering over the main drain install the screws with the pole/screwdriver/screw setup.

Do NOT over tighten under any circumstances.

You should probably check to see if the screw holes are open and clear of any obstructions by trying to use the pole and screw driver to insert a screw in each hole before going through the "swim down with the grate" part of the task.

You probably have an anti vortex cover which also requires 2 screws, depending on the drain manufacturer while I still use the tried and true Hayward grate.

GL and please post what you wound up doing.

cjpink
07-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Searcher,

Thank you for the reply. I apologize as I should have been more descriptive on my issue. The pool was remodeled and they split the old drain into two main drains. Both of the main drains are covered. The hydrostatic value was placed by iteself at the lowest point in the pool between the split main drains. It is slightly countersunk below the surface but does not have a drain cover. After doing so additional research, I realize now that the hydrostatic valve could have actually been placed inside a main drain, however that is not my case. In fact, one of my neighbors just had a new pool put in and they did it the same way as mine (3 separate openings - 2 main drains , 1 hydrostatic valve), but they covered all three of his with a cover.

Subsequent to my post, I spoke with someone who seemed knowledgeable at National Pool Tile (NPT) and Superior Pool Products and he said that it is not uncommon to have the hydrostatic valve uncovered because a lot of times the cover prevents the hydrostatic value from opening properly. However, he did say that it is covered more times than not.

So my question remains - should it be covered to prevent the automatic pool cleaner or a "kid diving for treasure" from damaging it, and if so, what are my options to cover it since there are no existing holes to utilize to place a drain cover over it?

thank you!