PDA

View Full Version : How do I measure shock at 20

peggles0224
07-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I know the measuring device only goes to 10, but I forgot how to measure shock at 20. Also, how long do I keep it at shock level? A couple of days and then what?

aylad
07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
What kit are you using? If it's an OTO test that tests for chlorine and pH, then the chlorine side only goes to 5--the 10 is for bromine, which is not normally used in swimming pools.

Assuming your chlorine test goes to 5 ppm....you mix one part pool water with one part distilled (no chlorine) water, mix well, run your test, then multiply your result x 2. If that's not high enough, then mix it 1:2 and multiply result x 3.

When shocking your pool, how long to leave it at shock depends on why you're shocking it--if it's for algae, then leave it at shock until it clears up. If it's for high CC, then leave it at shock until the CC is less than 0.5. If it's "just in case" after hurricane fallout, then a couple of days is plenty.

If you'll test your water and post numbers that we can look at, along with your specific problem, we'll be happy to help...

Janet