PDA

View Full Version : Backwashing DE filter into the street public sewer?

bobjersey
07-01-2010, 02:31 AM
I do not have a waste drain in my yard, can I backwash my DE filter into the street? It will go down half a block to the public sewer, definitely leaving a long white trail right to my house so I will be easy to catch if that is the wrong way to do it!

I also have a total swamp of a pool, so I was hoping to vacuum to waste to simplify my cleaning plan.

CarlD
07-01-2010, 07:21 AM
You'll need to check with your local authorities and follow their guidance for what is permissible.

We are not going to say it's "OK" to ever violate local ordinances or laws.

bobjersey
07-01-2010, 02:02 PM
LOL year I hear ya Carl. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience, like if it is legal or illegal where they live. Thanks anyway!

waterbear
07-01-2010, 02:25 PM
In some localities a DE filter must have a separation tank to collect the DE that is backwashed out. In other areas DE filters are illegal (as are sand filters) and cartridge filters are the only type allowed. In a lot of areas it is illegal to run effluent from swimming pools into a street or storm drain.

cleancloths
07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Where do your rain gutters discharge? Can you use that as a place to dump it?

Poconos
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Here I go.

Sand filters illegal? Probably applies to oceanside cities where MOST OF THE GROUND IS SAND.

DE I can sometimes understand because of its effect on fish and wildlife.

Where do used cartridges go? TO THE LANDFILL.

How about pool water that you bathe in? Cleaner than the storm drain.

Water with crud that washes off roads and into storm drains is OK though?

Most of this makes about as much sense as one of the cities (maybe both, I forget) either New York or Philadelphia that stopped dump trucks loaded with snow from dumping it in the river. They have to melt it first. Where does the water go? In a storm drain that dumps into THE SAME RIVER. Also we now have the pollution from the JET ENGINE THAT MELTS IT.

Just more stupid laws.

I feel better now.

Happy and Safe 4th to all.

Name witheld.:D:D

cleancloths
07-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Yup that's our wonderful government for you. Here is one along the same lines - we could take care of 99% of all the oil in the gulf very easily. There is cyclone technology that BP has and could use that would vacuum up all the oily water, separate out 99% of the oil and discharge the "clean" water back into the gulf. But the EPA won't let it be used because the resulting outfall has 1% oil in it. Sure sounds like a better solution than what the government is now doing skimming a fraction of the oil. Sometime laws just get in the way of common sense.